Tough flexible paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:45 pm
I am looking to repaint my rockcrawler which is a 1989 jeep wrangler. It currently has a mixture of some single stage black, factory black and rattle can on all the body panels and armor. Plan to just respray it black but want it to hold up to all the abuse I will put the jeep though. Any suggestions on paint?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 am
Imron is the baddest paint I know of,,,but its not flexible. Have you thought about a sprayable bed liner coating?
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:40 am
x2 for imron... used on Big Rigs and Airplanes. It definitely isn't flexible though. Rick's suggestion on bedliner is something that I see a lot of wheeler's use, seems to hold up really well. There really isn't an automotive paint that will withstand the abuse of 4 wheeling without ultimately getting torn up.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am
********** black epoxy is pretty flexible. If you leave some in a paint cup for a week or so it turns into a hockey puck but has the feel and texture of the old Super Ball that some of us old timers remember playing with as kids. Its a super tough, almost rubbery material.
The UV protection in the epoxy will last about 5 years.
The bedliner idea over the epoxy might be the best bet for a durable lasting finish.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:24 pm
,,after a week what does it do? You know how slow that stuff is. I'm thinking it will crack like crazy.

Epoxy is known for being brittle...................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:15 am
The epoxy pucks in the bottom of the mixing cups are extremely flexable, and if you let a thin layer dry in the bottom of the cup, it can be folded double without cracking.

I have also tested ********** against PPGs DPLF and the ********** is much harder to sand blast off than DPLF. That was done in a siphon feed blast cabinet.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 pm
epoxy mastic 121 paint remains flexible. no idea if you guys get it over your side of the world through and its not cheap (about £120 a gallon here in the uk) seriously good stuff though never seen rust come through it and we use it on all welds and bare steel work and even pour it in rear wheel arches to seal up the gaps. never seen it fatigue or crack yet

Return to Body and Paint