Some Quick "Post Poor Paint Job" Input Needed

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:41 pm
While $700 is pretty cheap for a paint job, there's no excuse for shoddy work. I have had cars painted by both Maaco and Earl Sheib that turned out better for $200-300. Grated, that was several years ago. I know people who run bodyshops on the side that charge around $700-1200 for decent paint jobs, complete. The materials can be had for as little as $250-350, the rest is labor...(sandpaper, 2K urethane, single stage paint)

Did you get a warranty? If you didn't, he doesn't have to repaint the vehicle for you. Part of the cost of a typical $3,000 paint job is the labor to prep the car correctly, the materials used, and the warranty to cover any mistakes or faults that may show down the line. Even some of the "Presidential Specials" come with a written warranty.

Buckeyeresto,
60-80 hours to prep and paint a 4Runner? More like a weekend's work, working 8 hour days... If its a real bodyshop with 2-3 helpers, they could crank it out even faster while still prepping it properly...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:12 pm
I swapped labor when I had a Chevy pickup painted in the early '90s. (I renovated the office of a body shop) They had one guy at a time on my truck, it took them 22 hours to sand, repair a few dings, tape, prime, paint, and buff.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:23 am
While this guy may have only paid $700 for his paint job, for it to leave the guys shop looking like that is a joke. Any of you pros out there that have that get what you pay for thing in your head, is that an excuse to do crappy work like that? If you aint gonna do it right dont do it it all.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:03 am
Regardless it should not peel. OP you should calm down on the nasty cuts. Not really needed. Sorry you are frustrated. :allgood:

Jay is a top notch high production painter and doesn't need my defense you just don't have a clue. Contact the better business bureau and take him to small claims before you make any changes to the vehicle. It will need to be stripped so you know what you have next go around. Hope you can work it out so you get a job that sticks.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 pm
jasonm he is right you snap on your replies,is it his fault he had no idea that $700 wont get a decent job?
thats why people come here,i posted a question a few weeks back and your answers were a joke.
i asked if kirker was good paint for my show/daily driver and you gave a laugh reply.
if you have the knowledge you claim help people here dont beat yur chest,im a building contractor 25 years in business,theres not much i dont know.but i would never bash a do it yourselfer,you try to build a new house and ill come everyday and laugh at all your mistakes,see how you take it.
i read his post and felt sorry for him,he got wat he desreved for $700,but its not his fault,notice that other posters gave him advice?
4 years ago i knew nadda thing about car painting and i got a quote to repaint my 98 chev truck no rust just fade.for $1200 you know wat?it turned out amazing drove truck for another 4 years and no issues,i got lucky
the op didnt.
ive learned a ton on this site thanks to some great members(keep it up you know who you are)
but there are members here i ignore their advice(hint)
see my progess here all knowledge gained from this site hats off to this site
heres my project http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86 ... s/PROJECT/

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 am
burnoutz wrote:jasonm he is right you snap on your replies,is it his fault he had no idea that $700 wont get a decent job?
thats why people come here,i posted a question a few weeks back and your answers were a joke.
i asked if kirker was good paint for my show/daily driver and you gave a laugh reply.
if you have the knowledge you claim help people here dont beat yur chest,im a building contractor 25 years in business,theres not much i dont know.but i would never bash a do it yourselfer,you try to build a new house and ill come everyday and laugh at all your mistakes,see how you take it.
i read his post and felt sorry for him,he got wat he desreved for $700,but its not his fault,notice that other posters gave him advice?
4 years ago i knew nadda thing about car painting and i got a quote to repaint my 98 chev truck no rust just fade.for $1200 you know wat?it turned out amazing drove truck for another 4 years and no issues,i got lucky
the op didnt.
ive learned a ton on this site thanks to some great members(keep it up you know who you are)
but there are members here i ignore their advice(hint)
see my progess here all knowledge gained from this site hats off to this site
heres my project http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86 ... s/PROJECT/

I gave the op advice....

Is this the thread you were talking about you even agreed it was good advice...... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18664

I didn't snap on you and my advice is far from a joke,some people don't like to hear the facts..... sorry if you took the kirker thing personally.As far as building a house I will leave that to the pros,as far as do it your selfers I don't bash them I do try to help, people need to know their limitations.......peace man.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:34 am
jason i dont think you realize your advice can pizz people off,you did me,even though yes you did help.you come across the wrong way,i imagine you have a wealth of knowledge,just post it a little more proffesionally,
you posted laughing at me for suggesting kirker paint were you shudda gave a reason why its not quality or a simple "you dont wanna use that" you posted "kirker on a show car :rotfl: " get it?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:19 am
No harm intended but after reading that thread I would think that one little laughing guy is a small price to pay for the way Jayson and Ding worked to convince you not to use water. They were extremely patient and concerned about the outcome of your paint job, it would have been easy to just walk away.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:41 am
Yep, time to get over it and move on. :bighug:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 am
Jayson m wrote:I gave the op advice....

I didn't see that.. I just saw you making fun of him in your first reply?

I agree. Go to court. Who cares the price, it shouldn't peel off the car.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint