Clear coat on gel coat question

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 am
Hi all, I am new here and I had a question about a fiberglass plate holder that I bought for my car. It has a black gel coat finish and I am planning on doing a clear coat on it so it lasts longer on my car.

Since I am not super knowledgeable in painting, I figured I would ask here. So I originally thought about using some polish on the gel coat to get rid of some light swirl marks on the surface before painting but I read somewhere else that its not a good idea since polish is a chemical it would stay trapped under the clear coat and would affect the look. Anyone know?

I am currently thinking to just apply the clear coat and I think the clear will just fill in the swirl marks? Any help or tips on what I can do to prep the gel coat surface would be great.

BTW I am using an Acrylic Enamel clear coat spray can. Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm
Why would you need to put a "tougher" coating over an existing gel coat? Gel coats are 15 to 20 mils thick already and wayyyy.... harder than any enamel you put on there. Simply cut and buff that exising gel coat if you've got some swirls in it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 pm
Just polish it and keep wax on it..............
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:48 pm
The only reason I was going to do a clear coat was because the guy that sold it to me suggested to do a clear coat to get the "best finish" since he said it would be much easier to maintain.

I was a little worried about the sun and rain causing the gel coat to not last as long as but once again I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. Also how often should I wax it and what wax do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:41 pm
Sunlight is the worst enemy of most gel coats. It makes them "haze" over time. Just polish it and wax whenever you see it dulling out. Any premium wax like Meguiars, Zymol, Pinnacle, etc., will work just fine. It's really not that hard to maintain most gel coats until they get some age on them.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 am
After a bit more research , I am back with more questions.

So apparently clear coating is not a good idea directly on a gel coat since it wont adhere properly and will peel off after some time. I was thinking of using a primer to get the cleat coat to adhere properly. Epoxy seems to be the most common primer to use other than urethane primer.
I am not very clear on what the difference is between a primer and a sealer? and are both required?

Also, does anybody know if its ok if I just sand the primer and then do clear coat over it. Since the gel coat is black I feel like there is no need for a coat of paint.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 am
You're not listening are you :knockout:

Pound to a penny if you paint it the only trouble you will have is your paint flaking.

Leave it alone man :allgood:

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic