The BIG project thread

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:19 pm
I think he is talking about this one Dennis.

carter intake.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:06 am
Doright wrote:OK i'm confused with that chart what year are we talking about Rob? wich engine? wich model car?

Your like me you have several projects going right now, hard to keep up with all of them some times.

I know what you mean Dennis, we're a little nutty with how many projects we have :splat: Yes the one Rock just posted, 1964 Buick Riviera 425 Nailhead.

And speaking of projects, I'm digging this one out of the garage this weekend and getting my son to take it to his shop to get it running again, it's sat for about 10 years, I've turned it over so it isn't seized but needs some attention. Naturally all the wheel cylinders have gakked so new brakes are also in order.

Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:41 pm
Rob is that a 61 TR3? I remember seeing that before, nice car :rockon:

I did a little work on the 38 deck lid. I took it off so I could work on the inside and cover up the added metal that I put on to correct the fit and also some very ugly pitting in the interior skin. :shocked: I wanted to keep it all looking stock by preserving the edge of the flange. :knockout: :knockout: I was able to accomplish both :happy: :happy:
Before:

After:

I used the Green kitty hair first to keep things water proof. :splat:

I also started the left rear quarter and fitting the driver door. The quarter had been hit and repaired so rather than killing myself I am just filling and blocking . it was very close. I'll post some pictures later :rolleyes:
it needs to be lowered with big and littles. .

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:08 am
Nice work on the decklid Doug :goodjob:

It's a 59 TR3, I think the short door wide mouth was made from 58 - 63 with no changes to the body at all as far as I know. Unfortunately it's much worse than I thought, looks to be seized :splat: :splat: :splat:

I don't know why I let it sit so long :whoops: :whoops:
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:07 am
Boy that is really bad news, :flatten: I guess you are trying all the "surface rust" solutions of taking the plugs out and squirting the WD-40 or Kroil penetrating oil in and letting it sit for a day then hit the starter :shocked: :shocked: hoping to heck you don't break a ring. :realmad:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:19 am
Doug's 38 2dr sedan wrote:Boy that is really bad news, :flatten: I guess you are trying all the "surface rust" solutions of taking the plugs out and squirting the WD-40 or Kroil penetrating oil in and letting it sit for a day then hit the starter :shocked: :shocked: hoping to heck you don't break a ring. :realmad:

Yup that's what I've done, nothing yet. My son will come and get it this week and he can work on it. (I've come to the conclusion I can't keep up with all my projects and need help) Probably pull the head and see what things look like in there :splat: It only has 72,000 original miles on it, I am all kinds of pissed at myself about this :knockout: :knockout: They're an odd design, it's a sleeved motor so you get a liner/piston kit and press it in so it may end up coming down to that if we can't unseize it :rolleyes:
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:55 am
I have done that to 2 stroke motorcycle engines before. Cylinder in oven to 400F sleeve in Freezer to 15F and press it in. :rolleyes: The biggest problem I would have was getting the old sleeve out. :knockout: :knockout: I only had one go bad on me while I was pressing it in I was a little slow and the sleeve exploded on me and I have a scar on my chin to remind me of what metal can do under extreme pressure. :whoops: :splat: :realmad: I imagine your engine would have to be done somewhere that has the oven and press set up to handle it. :shocked:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am
So that's how it's done :shocked: :shocked:

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I have a neighbour that used to restore TR's, I'll have to go see if he's still around if it does come down to a rebuild. Still hoping we can get it unstuck.
Rob

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am
I do to. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I would think you will be able to clean them up even with a "little" pitting

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:17 am
I read a bit on it and it's likely that the piston is seized in the liner so at least getting the liner out shouldn't be horrific if that is the case. We shall see. If I do have to pull the liners I may just go for a new set of the bigger liner/pistons, bumps you up about 150 cubes as I recall.
Rob
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects