1970 Fiberglass motorhome needs alot of work

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 pm
Hi,
New here. Lookng for help with my restoration project. I have been around autobody most of my life so I know a few things but I have never worked with fiberglass. I have three of these motorhome. I hope to restore 2 of them using the third for parts. They are all gelcoat over fiberglass and these motorhomes are typical to spidercracks everywhere. Also there is some major damage on two of them. The green one I'd like to fix. It looks like it got beer canned. The cut goes all the way through. How would I go about fixing it ?
I need to know the following:
Should I fix it from the back or the front or both ?
What should I use the gorilla hair or cloth mat ?
Should I use Epoxy Resin or Polyester ?
Should I try to re gelcoat it ? I was told to strip the gelcoat to the foberglass, skin it with bondo and just paint it with Enamel or something. The Green Travco I may just spray with Olive Drab and camo it. The Blue Striped Travco I would like to restore to original color but if paint holds up better than Gelcoat that is fine. Everyone of these Travcos I have ever seen seemed to suffer from the cracking of Gelcoat.
Any help advice would be much appreciated.
Attachments
DSCF0019.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
They stopped using Lacquer ??? When ???
I am a Curmudgeon..

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:55 pm
I would use cloth on that minimum 2 sheets thick to start. I prefer SMC Resin on all of my repairs of this type. It is more expensive but the strength is outstanding. Grind around the damaged area at least 3-4 inches from the damaged edges. You should be able to get it from the outside. The last pick looks like paint damage. I would take it down with 80 grit D/A. Seal it with 2 coats epoxy primer then 3 coats high build urethane primer. IMO.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Thank you. I did try using 80 grit on the D/A and it took forever to strip the gelcoat.Stuff is hard as a rock. That spot I stripped I did with a high speed 6 inch floppy air grinder. As long as I don't gouge it is there any harm in using the grinder ?
I am a Curmudgeon..

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:17 pm
If you are good at it knock yourself out on the grinder. I don't like stripping with the high speed ones. I like the sander/polishers for that. IMO You will need to seal it with epoxy then I recommend poly primer over it within the recoat window. Then have you a good old blocking time after you guide coat it.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 pm
What is a guide coat ? Also for the rough spot is ever oat vettefill good ?
I am a Curmudgeon..

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 pm
Ok I started in the back. I can get to that one. the PO did a really lousy attempt with chicken wire and bondo. I cut the damaged area out and will attempt rebuild it. I have some smooth plastic I will coat with wax and tape to the outside and start form the inside
Attachments
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0015.JPG
I am a Curmudgeon..

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am
Acesneights1 wrote:What is a guide coat ?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17445
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:41 am
Thanks.
Well I am going to star laying glass today. wish me luck... :pcorn:
I am a Curmudgeon..

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:49 pm
Before you start sanding rub your face and arms down heavy with baby powder.
It will keep the glass from sticking in your pores and to your skin.
Keep us posted.

:pcorn:

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic