ms primer on plastic primer?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 pm
hi guys, need some advice..

i'm painting my new poly-urethane bumper and lip( plastic is black in colour). I've already sanded the raw plastic slightly, cleaned & degreased and applied clear plastic primer which i'm allowing to cure for 24hrs as advised by the paint shop.

my question is: can i spray ms primer over the plastic primer?

i want to do this as i want to shoot the paint on the beige ms primer rather than the black colour that the plastic is, in its current state. i want to do it this way so the colour match is perfect.

bottom line: can i shoot ms primer over plastic primer? or do i have no other choice than to shoot the paint directly onto the plastic primer?

thanks in advance :)

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 am
Ok so i ended up shooting the paint straight over the plastic primer.

i later visited a pro autobody shop and they confirmed that you can indeed shoot ms primer over plastic primer.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 pm
Sounds like that clear primer you used is nothing more than what we call adhesion promoter. I have done it both ways you described and have not had one failure either way.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:30 am
timbo wrote:Sounds like that clear primer you used is nothing more than what we call adhesion promoter. I have done it both ways you described and have not had one failure either way.

yeah you're right bro, thats the term the guy at the paint shop used('plastic primer') he seemed inexperienced - 'adhesion promoter' would have be the correct term, in hindsight. Thanks for the confirmation that it can be done, i'm trying to learn as much as possible

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic