Using 2K Primer, is sealer required?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 pm
First off, Thanks for the most informative body and paint website I have ever seen!
I have a 2001 Montero Sport that is almost ready for paint after some months repairing some wreck damage.
I have it primed with Limco 2K Urethane primer I bought at the local automotive paint store.
I primed the vehicle about three weeks ago and have wet sanded it with 400 grit paper.
I plan to paint with base coat/ clear coat.
Please excuse if these questions have been asked before, I couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.
When wet sanding the primer, some of the surfaces are almost glossy smooth. Is that good, or will I have a problem with paint adhesion?
Is a sealer required before painting?
Having been three weeks since the primer was applied, is that too long a span before painting?
I know of a couple of guys who rode around for years in a primed truck, so I'm hoping that's not an issue.
The vehicle has been in the garage since the primer was applied.
Thanks,
Jerry

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:22 pm
400 grit is ok if ur going with a solid color but if its metallic ya should take it with 600 without any sealer
if its blended its splendid

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:07 pm
bondo merchant wrote:400 grit is ok if ur going with a solid color but if its metallic ya should take it with 600 without any sealer

Hi, thanks for the info. I'm painting the original color back, Solano Black Pearl I believe it's called, so I'll probably 600 sand before I paint.
Jerry

Return to Body and Paint