Best spray gun for $500 or less?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:16 pm
Looking for something to shoot base, clears and metalics. Something user freindly if there is such a thing.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:28 pm
Well that's a matter of personal opinion.
A number of high quality guns in that price range especially if you are willing to buy used.
SATAs, Iwatas, DeVilbiss, and so forth.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Well that's a matter of personal opinion.
A number of high quality guns in that price range especially if you are willing to buy used.
SATAs, Iwatas, DeVilbiss, and so forth.

Get a Plus Gun with three tips. Better than that get a teckna copper with 2 tips. Both are from Devilbiss.
I have the Plus and it is nice but I like my Satas the best.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm
I shoot some dark emareld green metalic laquer on my old hood just testing and playing around. I couldn`t for the life of me find the sweet spot in my gun setup to get it to lay flat, but I guess thats what you get for $85 at a body shop store. The ready to spray duplicolor probably didn`t help me any either, but it should have looked better. I actually sprayed more paint on the paper on the wall than i got on the hood trying to get it to flow out right, never found the right setup.

I was looking at that tekna copper, it looks pretty sweet. I haven`t looked at the Satas yet but I`ll check them out.

I was just relooking at the Tekna Copper and was wondering what this means, "7E7 HE Air Cap (RP compliant, non-HVLP"

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm
H/E is Same as Compliant/RP characteristics. All the same thing.

Edit: H/E Addition
Last edited by timbo on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:25 pm
One MAJOR concern when shopping for spray guns is your compressor output. Some guns require much higher volumes of air (CFM or SCFM) to operate.
You should know your compressor's CFM output before you spend money on a gun.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 pm
Its a 230volt 60 gallon campbell hausfeld, its rated at 11.5cfm at 40lbs. I`ve never ran out of air, even with a da sander.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:16 pm
My point is simply this. Guns have specifications for proper operation and one of them is a CFM @ psi requirement. As long as the gun you buy states a CFM requirement under what your compressor puts out you should be a happy camper BUT if you were to buy a gun that required 15 CFM @ 30 psi you would be dissatisfied with its performance. Would air and paint still come out? Sure but the gun will never operate the way it was designed to since your compressor is 4 CFM short of the supply it needs from the get go.

Your compressor will handle "most" of the high end guns so you shouldn't have a problem getting something decent.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:28 pm
love my devilbiss tekna. lays metallics, solids, and cc awesome. hear its also awesome for pearls and candies.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:My point is simply this. Guns have specifications for proper operation and one of them is a CFM @ psi requirement. As long as the gun you buy states a CFM requirement under what your compressor puts out you should be a happy camper BUT if you were to buy a gun that required 15 CFM @ 30 psi you would be dissatisfied with its performance. Would air and paint still come out? Sure but the gun will never operate the way it was designed to since your compressor is 4 CFM short of the supply it needs from the get go.

Your compressor will handle "most" of the high end guns so you shouldn't have a problem getting something decent.

Good post 68

:goodpost:
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies