Limco LC4000-how long to cure before wetsanding?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:03 am
Hello all. My first post on this great site. I apologize in advance if this question gets asked frequently, but I tried the advanced search and came up with nothing.
I laid the clearcoat on my latest Jeep project (CJ5) on Friday morning. I used the LIMCO LC4000 clear. The tech sheets don't specify when I can wet sand, it only states that it can be "handled" after 8 hours. What do you guys recommend is the best "window" to wait for wet sanding?

Thanks in advance!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:56 pm
The tech sheet I have for LC 4000 says wait 24 hrs. before sanding, compounding, or recoating:

Comments:
Materials described are for application by professional trained personnel only using proper equipment. Products may be hazardous & should be used according to label directions & technical
data information. Appropriate respiratory protection should be worn at all times while products are in use—read product label for specific details. Statements & methods described are based upon
the latest standard of technology known to the manufacturer. Application procedures cited are suggestions only & are not to be interpreted as warranty for events resulting from their use.
T E C H N I C A L D A T A
LC4000 Clear..........
(1) Dry to handle in 8 hours.
(2) Must allow 5 mins. flash time before force drying at 140°F/60°C.
Wait 24 hours before sanding, compounding or recoating.
* Mixing with flex agent will alter dry times and viscosity.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm
Thanks for your help, Edpol. I have a couple of runs in the clear that I wanted to clean up with a razor, but the runs are still a little on the soft side (and I can still dent them with a fingernail). I mixed it dead on per the instructions (4:1), but I'm wondering if I need to let it cure for a few more days.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 pm
There are posts in various forums that say LC4000 takes a long time to harden.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 pm
Thanks. I'm seeing that it is a "lower quality" clear as well. Hope it holds up.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 pm
Buff everything else you plan to buff first. Save the run areas for an extra day later if it is still soft after 24 hours. You can carefully wet block the run a few licks with 800-1000 @ 24 hrs to open it up for a quicker cure and buff later.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:50 pm
timbo wrote:Buff everything else you plan to buff first. Save the run areas for an extra day later if it is still soft after 24 hours. You can carefully wet block the run a few licks with 800-1000 @ 24 hrs to open it up for a quicker cure and buff later.

Timbo- was out of town traveling all week and just saw this. Thanks for the reply! Very helpful.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail