Clear coat question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 pm
I have being painting plenty lately, I can lay down primer surfacer pretty flat and basecoat also flat and even. But when it comes to clear, I get a lot of orange peel. I should base and clear with an Iwata Lph-300 with 1.3 mm tip. My fluid and fan adjustments are open full, inlet air pressure at the regulator is around 22-25 psi. Trigger half way is around 10-13 psi, how I said my surfacer and basecoat is not a problem only when I shoot clear. Does this sound right? Here are some pictures of a tail gate I did for my cousin:

After wet sanding with 1500-2000

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm
Looks like you just need to cut and buff then you are home free. Hope you got three coat on it.

Pretty much all clear will have some texture and trash in it regardless. Some less than or more than others. There are soooo many variables that dictate those amounts that we could write a short novel on it.

What kind of gun, pressure, and tip size?
Clear coat numbers and shop temp with activator speed and reducer temp?
This is the start....

:pcorn:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 pm
timbo wrote:There are soooo many variables that dictate those amounts that we could write a short novel on it.

Well that was a problem too, I live in south texas and it has been over 100 these couple of days. The only place I can paint is at my father's welding shop which gets around 98 degrees inside.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 pm
Coupe302 wrote:
timbo wrote:There are soooo many variables that dictate those amounts that we could write a short novel on it.

Well that was a problem too, I live in south texas and it has been over 100 these couple of days. The only place I can paint is at my father's welding shop which gets around 98 degrees inside.

I shot a van in 98 the other day....Single Stage Black and used slow reducer. Tell me about the clear and activator speed. Reducer if you used any in the clear.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 pm
timbo wrote:What kind of gun, pressure, and tip size?
Clear coat numbers and shop temp with activator speed and reducer temp?
This is the start....

:pcorn:
Iwata Lph-300 with 1.3 mm tip, inlet air pressure at the regulator is around 22-25 psi, trigger half way is around 10-13 psi.
3 coats of Refinish solutions clear, Slow activator (might be an issue?), no reducer (4:1 only).

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 pm
Could it also be that I shot the clear medium wet instead of a heavy coat? I didn't want any runs.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 pm
Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of the welding bed I painted, I was really disappointed on that one.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 pm
You have the right hardener. No reducer in this clear needed. It is thin. Try a little more pressure but I think you are close to good on this clear. Practicing gun speed, distance and such will be your main thing at this point. Just let it flash good or you might get die back on most matrix clears if ya get in a hurry not to mention runs.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 am
Trigger half way is 10-13 psi

You should be setting your inlet pressure with the trigger FULL open. I set the regulator at the wall to 100 psi and then adjust at the gun (digital) with the trigger full open to get the desired inlet pressure.
Generally the clears will take a little more pressure to properly atomize than the base coat will.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 pm
Ok thanks everybody for the advice, Today I shot some tool boxes and fender flare, the fender flares came out great. The tool boxes came out okay but not too bad for it being hot, humid, and windy. Pressure psi for the clear was 18-20 with the trigger pull full, I laid the clear heavy which I should of done with the bed.

They look better in person than the pictures.
Next

Return to Body and Paint