Blister or bubble under clear appeared after buffing

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:52 pm
NightTrain wrote:What's strange is that the blisters formed in a line, and only in a small area.
It could be a void inside the fiberglass layers that has trapped gas. Take a
look at the underside of the hood directly under the bubbles; that might
give a clue...?

And thats what throwing me off. Just that one area and I hit other sections harder. The under side of the hood was also painted and it looks just fine. Obviously didn't cut and buff that as I'm not that concerned with it and it layed down real flat anyways.

Guess I'll give it a day before I either re-clear the whole **** thing. I cut out one of the bubbles and it was only clear. No color at all. :?:

Never had problems with fiberglass in the recent past but I've never seen/heard of this brand hood (TruFiber) before. Guess I may have learned my lesson. Buy other brands. :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 pm
Think what these guys are saying is that if it's the fiberglass then you would see primer (or at least base) on the bottom of the bubble. If it's just clear, then that indicates that the bubbles are forming above your base coat and beneath your Clear coat.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 pm
daslog wrote:Think what these guys are saying is that if it's the fiberglass then you would see primer (or at least base) on the bottom of the bubble. If it's just clear, then that indicates that the bubbles are forming above your base coat and beneath your Clear coat.

I know. Just haven't decided now whether or not to spot it in or just re-clear the whole thing.

Decisions...decisions. :?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 am
Spot in the base,,,and clear the entire hood. (Use more than two coats of base this time)
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:27 pm
This is the typical problem that can happen with paint that is burned a little bit by the buffer with trapped gasses or solvents in the finish. I ran into this problem on a roof or hood a few times when I was in a hurry. Looks like a hollow zit in the clear coat or base coat and really ruins your day. :( Only way to fix it is like ODG outlined. Be really careful when buffing so it doesn't burn on accident again.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:24 am
Ill bet ya its in the gelcoat or fiberglass.....not the primer, base or clear.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:04 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:Ill bet ya its in the gelcoat or fiberglass.....not the primer, base or clear.

i think thats what i mentioned in my first post.any thing given of from the Fiberglas will lift the clearcoat ,as the primer and base are pores.if you are going to clearcoat again ,it will happen again ,you will have bubbles.Hope im wrong
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:47 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:Ill bet ya its in the gelcoat or fiberglass.....not the primer, base or clear.

Well, I spent the morning taking it all down. Once I got past the clear, the bubbles were not there. I went ahead and took off the top base coat, put down two fresh and re-cleared it.

Guess we will find out in a few days. Leaving in the garage (did it at home this time instead of driving it to the shop) and not touching it at all since we are supposed to have some weather the next couple of days. After I run through the cut and buff process, we will see the outcome. :pcorn:
Previous

Return to Body and Paint