Best way to repair a small rust hole?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:56 am
I'm a new member and complete novice when it comes to body repair and painting. I've got a 2002 Chrysler T&C minivan in great shape except for one smal larea of rust bubbles on the edge of the right-rear wheel well (where the metal is rolled over to form the wheel well edge.) I wire-wheeled the rust and applied a rust neutralizer. Now there's a one-inch crack about 2mm wide at the center which opens up the cavity formed by the rolled edge of the wheel well. I assume this means that there's some rust inside the cavity that I can't reach, although I sprayed rust neutralizer into the space. My plan is to slightly pound down the area around the crack to make a slight depression, and then apply some Kitty Hair to fill the hole and finish the surface. Is this a good plan? Also, do I need to apply some finishing Bondo on top of the Kitty Hair, or can I get a good smooth finish from the Kitty Hair alone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm
I always recommend welding in new metal when fixing a rust hole or cancer. It really is the only way to fix it 100%.

If you want to use fiberglass filler or kitty hair, it will work fine. It won't last a long time (usually), but if you perform the repair right, it should last at least 1 - 3 years. The key to the procedure is removing as much rust as possible. The fiberglass filler likes to stick to very coarse ground metal or 36-60 grit scratch made by a sander/grinder. Dimpling the surface like you mention is exactly what you want to do. I have performed this repair on old Bajas and cars I didn't care about and you can't tell the difference. ;)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 am
Remember,,If possible, treat the back of your repair.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:48 pm
Good point. I try to "fog" epoxy behind the panel with a wide fan and lots of pressure. If that doesn't work, I drip it down inside the door bottoms and slosh it around or spray undercoating. If you are in a humid climate, cars tend to rust from the inside out I'm finding.......

Return to Body and Paint