Prepping bare metal after using paint remover...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 pm
I picked up a nice straight hood at the salvage yard for my Civic, but apparently the previous owner used house paint on it. Using my DA was pretty pointless, it just gummed up the paper, so I used paint remover, which did the trick. It's down to bare metal now. After I finished with the paint remover, I washed it down with hot water and Dawn, then wiped it down with denatured alcohol, then wax and grease remover. Is it safe now to prime the bare metal with epoxy primer, or is there anything else I should have done to neutralize the paint remover?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:43 pm
Baking Soda and water should have been used before the Dawn.
Sand it again with 220, wipe down with a fast enamel reducer (Wipe off with dry towel when wet) then prime.
Im not a big fan of using W&G remover on bare metal.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 pm
I use a lot of paint stripper being that most of my projects are beat to death and covered in house paint or thick paint when I get them. :(

After I get the part stripped, I wash it again with soap and water. Then I wipe it down with wax and grease remover ( :P ODG)
Then I sand off any remaining paint residue and prep the metal for primer with P80 on a DA sander.
Wipe the panel down again with wax and grease remover.

Old house paint can be oil or latex based, so it is best to make sure you are extra careful by not smearing the contaminants around with your sand paper, while still removing the old paint 100% . This is why I clean everything twice, once before sanding and again after sanding.

At this point, it is ready for 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 - 3 coats of filler primer, with appropriate flash time between coats.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:24 am
Some paint company's used to recommend you don't use W&G remover on bare metal.

But hey,,,if you like doing it. Have at it.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:40 am
"Some paint company's used to recommend you don't use W&G remover on bare metal."

Can you list some today that recommend this?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm
I dont use "Google" to get my information,,so let me call my contacts to get you more info on this. Ill be back

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:31 pm
:pcorn:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:26 pm
we stripped my sons 240 and washed and power washed it,in the hot sun,and just sanded off the little bit of flash rust.dawn soap of course.

Return to Body and Paint