Minimum set of tools needed?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:33 pm
hello i am looking to get into, car spraying and other spraying like air brushing but, i would like to know a full list of tools and equipment i would need to get me start for a beginner please remember that when recommending things. maybe some recommendations on products as well to help me get going would be much appreciated.

thanks collins-reed

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 pm
Well the first thing you need to decide is whether this is a temporary endeavor or if you plan to do this type of work from now on.
The reason I say this is because too many guys start out buying things on the cheap (read: small compressor, cheap spray gun, DA, etc.) and then have to re-buy the same tools later only of a better quality.

The air compressor will be the heart of your shop so investing some time in researching this purchase is energy well spent.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 am
like i have said above in the OP stuff for a beginner. id rather do something like a small car project first and then if i enjoy doing it carry on if not then i wont but i would like sort of a list of things i would need please. plus also what would be the best type of paint to use? 2pack or acrylic?

but yes i do understand what you are saying.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:44 am
Air Compressor rated at 15 CFM @ 40 psi.
Proper air supply plumbing (do a search on here) and filtration with a regulator at the wall
50' 3/8 diameter rubber (vinyl isn't very flexible) air hose.
High flow fittings for all your tools and air connections
Spray Gun for primer (1.8 tip or larger)
Spray Gun for base, clear, single stage (1.3-1.4 tip). This should be a quality gun and not Chinese junk.
Sanding blocks in assorted lengths
Sandpaper 80, 150, 320, 600 (wet or dry), 1000, 1500, 2000, etc. depending on quality of finish.
Dust masks for when sanding.
Respirator for when painting
Assorted masking tapes, papers, etc. made for automotive use.
Cleaner grade lacquer thinner for cleaning your spray guns.
Gloves
Paint suit
Mixing cups, stir sticks and funnels with screens
Air powered DA, with 6" backing plate, interface pad and all assorted sanding/polishing discs
7" rotary buffer, with backing plate and assorted wool and foam pads
Buffing compound system
Wax and Grease remover

This should keep you busy for a while.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:08 pm
I can suggest for some of the little things Harbor freight has that stuff. Like paint suits, stainers and even body tools. ( Ive used several and have yet to break one). Dont buy an oil-less compressor. Save your money and buy a good one from the start. Cheap tools are great to start. Some have bad luck with them. But my theory is if you treat it like a $10 tool it will perform like $10 tool. If taken care of it could last you along time. Ive owned some "cheap" tools for years and they still perform. Build up your arsenol and if you stick with it buy the good stuff as your others break or wear out. Test your skill with some cheaper paints and finishes then move on to the higher dollar stuff.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 pm
ok thank you to both of you for the help. i live in the UK so wont be able to go to the places you have said. will be harder to find stores for things like that. because there are alot less shops like that here which is a shame. but thanks for the help :D

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:35 pm
iffen yer 1st car doesnt turn out too good, dont get discouraged and sell everything. prepwork is major in the outcome. then when its time to shoot paint, gun set up and control are critical. before ya shoot yer 1st car, get an old fender or hood to practice on. it may take shooting it a few times to get the gun setup and gun contrrol down, but it'll be a lot better for ya than just jumping right onto a car without practice.

Return to Tools and Supplies