Help me on my way with setup.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 am
So I have some painting to do, but Im not done with my setup for now, hopefully someone could chime in and help me on my way.

The only thing I have sorted out for now is the copressor, it's an Atlas Copco 3phase 230v unit wich pumps out 33cfm @90psi

And I have a devilbiss finishline 3 gun that Im going to use for primer, So far the only painting I have been doing is some furnitures for my girlfriend with a cheapo 40$ gun, didn't want to mess with oil based paint in my devilbiss unit. It worked out great som Im looking forward to getting into some auto painting, But I need another 2 guns to set me up good. Im looking at sata jet since A friend of mine is a painter and to start me off he will drop off some glasurit primer and paint this week along with a satajet 3000 gun he has in spare, his shop has alot of guns so he didn't need all of his guns so he gave one to me (I guess for all the aluminum tig welding I have done for him in the past)

But there are a few things Im unsure about.......

Im looking for a third gun to be a clearcoat gun and I see sata 4000 comes in both RP version and HVLP, so wich one should I get.

The 3000 he is giving me I have no Idea what is jet, only that its a 3000.

I already have steel piping in the garage for air tools, but was thinking of running a 3\4" copper pipe directly from the air compressor and to a Filter of some sort and use that only for painting. What filter should I get? , Im planning on buying a compressed air dryer system at one point, but still have not found one used, so that will come later, also later to come is a big "garage" im building next to the one I have, and there I will have a proper paint booth, bought used ofcourse, but thats all later to come, for now I just need to rig up something in the garage I have to maybe spray som chassi parts and maybe a fender or something other various small parts. I have seen alot of setups on copper piping for painting so I probably will be making something along the routes that I have seen with ups and downs and water traps, but im still not sure on what filter to get. I hear some say the devilbiss Qc3 is only good for one paint job and then you need to replace the filters, that sounds like a headache, I know there are big differences in humidity from one place to another so alot of factors play in, but I really dont want a filter I have to change all the time. And I know when I install an Air dryer system it will improve alot. but still want a good filter.

alot of writing and few questions, I know. But don't know how to put everything in words.

I guess the first question is wether I should go with 4000rp or HVLP, and next what desiccant filter to get that will work for me later down the road in a paint booth, I hate buying stuff 2 times, I always buy the best quality I can afford and would rather save up for something good than buy cheap and throw away.

Budget is somewhat High but not a millionaire. :P

kind regards

Robert

-Norway-
Weekend car:1995 TT supra 6spd 422RWHP
Daily Driver: 2004 VW passat TDI 4 motion

Project:
Volvo 242 Turbo, The race brick :P
2.5 16v Turbo 530hp

Volvo 240 Turbo Ice car, still missing engine.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:06 pm
No help on filter or spray gun ?

Im picking up a Refrigerated Air dryer that I have bought, I guess that means It will be easier to eliminate Air moisture. Maybe getting away with a cheaper filter setup, hope so atleast because the Air dryer wasn't cheap

Project:
2.5 16v Turbo 530hp

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 pm
Sounds llike you have the dryer figured out.
Go with the RP for sure. you won't be sorry especially for laying the clear flat compared to HVLP.
Go ahead and buy the digital. By the way I own 4 Satas. Two 3000RPs 1.3 one digital one is not. One 3000HVLP 1.3. And one old style Sata Jet90 conventional 1.4 tip I use for sealer. RP has the most usage in my shop.

By the way this is what I have used the same one in my shop for over ten years. I replace the filter every few months. But I don't paint all day every day. Never had a problem but I have 60 ft of hardline from the compressor every 8-10 ft apart with the proper fall to the down legs. The filter is on the wall near the end of the hardline where I hook my hose up.
http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-100 ... filter+kit
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm
Does this motorguard filter remove both moisture and oils in the air line, or is it more of a desiccant filter type, I really would like a filter setup that has Moisture\oil removal, and particel filtration to be sure that im not getting problems due to air, has a fresh painter Im gonna get into enough trouble as it is without being tricked or fooled by equipment, Thank you for the comment timbo, I'll be sure to look into that filter and for that price it really cant fail me bad :P

Project:
2.5 16v Turbo 530hp

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:42 pm
It has worked for me for years. I had a water trap at the compressor up until the glass broke 3 yrs ago. I put a down leg with a ball valve in place of it. Works for me. I use a ball filter on the gun to catch any condensation in the hose length to the gun. Never any fisheyes from my setup. Get hi-flow couplers and fittings throughout.http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-15105-18737.aspx
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Return to Tools and Supplies