Questions about flatz

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:08 am
I have seen a couple of cars that I really like in a matte black. My question is are they any easier to spray? I could see them going both ways as in you can not really really go back and correct mistakes but at the same time if you use the all in one brands like the Kirker you dont have the clear to worry about

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am
Flat paint is much harder to spray. You have no room for mistakes, any dirt or runs will stay, it needs to be laid down correctly, and you have to be careful with rubbing on the car in any fashion as it will cause it to shine.

********** has come out with a new line of Black Base Coat and Flat Black Single Stage that you can adjust the sheen on by the mix ratio.
They also have a Matte Clear Coat now available. Look at the bottom of the pricing list under other coatings.
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:07 pm
I have shot 2 or 3 different hot rod blacks over the years and I like the kirker hot rod black on top of kirker enduro epoxy reduced 10% wet on wet. It has been very consistent for me.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:37 am
Thanks for the info, I think had lost mind for a few hours. Im gonna stick with full glossy color

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:48 pm
I use Hot Rod (satin) black on frames, under hoods, engine bays and such. That is where it looks best to me IMO.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Return to Body and Paint