Should I paint with hood on or off?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm
Im prepring to paint my stock 1972 Datsun 240Z. I have removed the hood, rear hatch and headlight extnesions, {doors}. I have painted the engine bay, door jambs, and the inside of the hood and read hatch.

My question is; should I reassemble these parts and paint the car as a whole,...or should I paint it dissasembled and then reassemble after painting?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:59 pm
If you are confident in remounting it correctly & not scraping anything in the process I would paint the hood off the car. I Did it, but I simply did it with the hood off so I didn't have to mask anything off :)

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:08 pm
It sounds like my Porsche 944 I just finished. I took the hood off, removed old pads, painted, did engine bay, took doors off and did inside of doors and jams, rear hatch off but did not paint the jam area. One, because of room, I found it easier to put the hood back on to do the final paint. I had to mask the underside of the hood, the engine bay completely and just left the hood un latched so I could lift some to paint its edges etc. I also put the doors back on and just masked the insides and jam and open area completely. I did the hatch off the car along with head light covers and gas filler door all a week earlier.. I think it is best to try to do everything all at the same times that the many variables remain constant. You want to do this so the texture, if any, matches everywhere. And depending on what base coat you are using, metallic or solid, if your mixtures, booth temps and reducer used, your spray technique from one day to the next etc., you can end up with mismatch or metallic distribution differences on separate pieces. I used a candy base coat with alot of metallic and after putting the hatch back on, I noticed, particularly in the sunlight, the metallics would catch light differently from different angles. Even though I did the hatch to the best of my ability the same way, it looks lighter than the car body it sits next to. In the garage, under fluorescents, it looks like perfect match from the front angle and lighter from straight on, and the back view angle it looks good.I would say do everything on the car and if done off car, have room in booth so set them up in same orientation as would be on the car and do it all the same time. Just have to remember to spray starting at front of booth and working towards exhaust or you will end up with dry spray on some surfaces. I also find it easier to navigate around the booth and follow a similar pattern when you just have to focus on the car body alone.
Here is link to my album for the Porsche project.
http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22 ... 1QQtppZZ32

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 pm
My question is; should I reassemble these parts and paint the car as a whole,...or should I paint it dissasembled and then reassemble after painting?

If it is a solid color paint it unassembled. Metallics put it together.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 pm
timbo wrote:My question is; should I reassemble these parts and paint the car as a whole,...or should I paint it dissasembled and then reassemble after painting?

If it is a solid color paint it unassembled. Metallics put it together.

It's solid, (single stage white)

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:31 pm
OK :rockon:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Return to Body and Paint