finished the paint LOOKS GREAT NOW HAVE A QUESTION..

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:11 pm
Here is my project below are some pics.

here is my question - I just painted used a violet in the clear 2 coates let dry wet sanded - 2 more coates of clear - wet sanded polished. Now what do I do????

It is sitting in my shop at about 75 degrees.. I wet her down and chamois'd her off but i dont wanna do anything to take the show quality look away.. how do i keep it up?? do i need to wait a certain amount of days before taking her out the shop??? when and what products are best for show quality paint (like waxes, glazes, soap, use chamois or soft towel?)?

<--------newb

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:27 pm
You can take you car out of the shop as soon as your done buffing it, which sounds like your finished with. To mantain your shine, I recommend you do what you've been doing by rinsing with just water for the first thirty days. If it starts getting dull during that time, go ahead and put polish/glaze on it to bring back the shine-make sure the polish/glaze contains no silicone or wax. After thirty-days you can start putting wax on it. As far as that "show car" look, the best product that I know of is zaino at www.zainostore.com, but its costly.
Hope this helps.-Ed

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:07 pm
thanks for the link that looks like some great products they have..

also do I use chamois or 100% cotton towel to dry the car?

Any more input on products and techniques is apreciated... I built this car to show and know nothing about the upkeep and paint maintenance.
<--------newb

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:25 pm
Little more info :D -
I prefer 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size (only use Cannon or Fieldcrest name brands) for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mits, since they all can scratch.

I prefer 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.

Again Towels must be 100% Made in USA. Name Brand (Cannon or Fieldcrest Towels)

You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.

When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softner. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages(borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Where to buy towels........

Cannon & Fieldcrest make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is if a Cannon or Fieldcrest towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel.
Hope this helps.-Ed

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:59 pm
well yes, I appreciate this post. I really need to throw the chamois out, I thoguht that too... if it had a piece of sand on it that would be the end of that..

well thank you again..
<--------newb

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:53 pm
redline what color is that on your car?
What model/paint#code is that as well. I think ive just found my color :)

U said u applied 2 coats of viloet too. Peral im assuming, not flake.
What type of pearl was it? im thinking a hok pearl but still reluctant on buying any yet.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail