hobby-air or pure-air 2000??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:44 am
I have decided to get either a pure-air 2000 or a supplied air system like hobby-air. Which system do you guys recommend? Do you really get enough air with the pure-air 2000 to run tools and how often does the filter in the pure-air have to be changed($85 each). Is there any down side to the supplied air system? Is a full face mask or a hood better. I have a goatee beard that I keep trimmed fairly short, will that screw up the fit on a mask?
Thanks, Tom

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:50 am
I've been looking at getting an air supply system for myself too. I'm looking forward to hearing what anyone has to say that has experience.
BTW..........www.tptools.com has a couple different units. This is wher I bought my HVLP turbine system to paint with. I love it!!! The company is good to deal with and I highly recommend them. 8)
"EZ"
Ringgold, GA.
Custom Painter Wannabe

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:24 pm
Thanks, I'll check them out. I've been thinking about building my own. would you be able to use a small compressor with some filters to clean the air? I've read elsewhere on this site that you can build a system using a bathroom fan or a vacuum.
Tom

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:30 pm
Not bathroom fan (won't work under pressure), not a compressor (you won't get it clean enough to breathe), but a vacuum turbine works.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:40 pm
Aberrant,
thanks for the info. you say that you can't get the air clean enough with a compressor, how does the pure-air 2000 get it clean? what kind of filtration?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:57 pm
:D I have the Hobby Air II system. The only drawback is dragging the hose around. Other than that, I am totally satisfied with it. I use the full hood with mine. The full hood lets the air come in through the lower back of the hood. The face mask type hits you dead in the face and with the hose in the front I think would be more cumbersome. If you get any full hood air system or face mask for that matter, don't forget to get the lens protectors with it.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:06 am
Some SAS obviously use a compressor for the air, and I don't know much about how they clean up the air, but I do know that putting filters on any old air compressor for breathing supply is not smart. Removing particulate is only half of it, I don't know what kind of filters you'd use to remove carbon monoxide. I think the type of compressor used makes a big difference as well, commercial units probably have a certain type of compressor.

It took a lot of trial and error and a whole lot of reading for me to figure out the best way to build my system. I've seen guides where people explain on the web how they used a bathroom fan in a box and call it safe, I used to think it was that easy till I built one and realized how stupid it is. It's more complicated than it seems, I found out I had to worry about all kinds of things like plastic outgassing from the turbine throwing so much heat, extreme noise from moving air through the hose, damage to lungs from air pressure too high, etc, etc, etc, etc...

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:38 am
http://p2forum.proboards56.com/index.cg ... 1123172606

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:28 am
I have used the full hoods and the facemask variety (with a tyvex head cover) at work, and I personally prefer the mask over the hood. The hoods I have used sit a little further from the face and tend to create a glare in bright light, the masks dont seem to have this problem.

The system we use at work uses an air supply hose that supplies a "rhine air" mechanical style filter. It is "powered" by the compressor that supplies the entire booth, but it filters the air to breathing quality and then pushes it back through a hose to the hoods/mask. We can run 3 individual masks off the one system, so it makes it handy for a larger operation.

Heres a link to the type of system, but I would guess it is expensive, didnt look much other than to make sure it was the style we use. Theres enough creativity on this board maybe someone will be able to use the tech to create something that will work for them.

http://www.rhineair.com/page2.html

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:17 am
That link I posted above is about GRADE "D" breathing air.

I recommend you click and read it concerning the air compressor systems. Also suggest you do a search on the Niosh website and the Internet. A person's health is very important and should not be taken lightly by them or anyone else. Do some research and then do some more research before making a decision.

I use a HA2 setup with a Tyvek hood. I do not like dragging the hose but it is livable and there is no alternative to me because I am using supplied fresh air or I am not painting with urethanes or anything that contains ISOCYANATES such as: Urethane Clear Hardeners, Urethane Primer Hardeners, Base Coat Activators such as DRR, Enamel Hardeners, Urethane Spray-In Bed Liners, and so on.

Off track for a second and it saddens me to see people use the Hardeners for acrylic enamel and think they are not being exposed to ISOCYANATES because they have NOT done their research. Some of them option out on urethane single stages to supposedly get away from the Isocyanates and use the ae with hardeners unknowingly.

Tom, it is good to see someone asking about supplied fresh air systems. It also saddens me to see people buy expensive paint guns, expensive paints, and basically the best money can buy for other things then use a cheap negative pressure filtered half mask in a home garage that can not move and exchange the air like in a professional booth. There is a big difference in that respect for a professional VS a hobbyist when using a negative pressure filtered mask.

I have never read an MSDS that doesn't recommend a Positive Fresh air supplied system with Isocyanate Products.

Again you are commended for looking out for your health. Do some more reading and decide what is best for your own health. Let us know what you decide on and why. OKAY? :)
Next

Return to Body and Paint