New BASE COAT from PPG called OMNI MBP

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:10 pm
Has anyone heard or read anything about OMNI MBP Acrylic Urethane Basecoat.....?
http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs ... secoat.pdf

The date on the PDF is 5/2005 and since have not seen it before take it as a new BASE COAT? I think this is a new product. Know in the past when older OMNI products were updated for The Product Tech Sheets the dates were changed but have not seen this OMNI MBP before.

Within the link and description seems as if the MBP is targeted directly at the HIDING & COLOR MATCHING abilities that some people often complained about for OMNI MBC.

More info directly from PPG for questions asked via EMAIL:

PPG wrote:MBP Acrylic Urethane Basecoat.

1Q.Any info for how it compares to MBC for coverage?
1A. "MBP offers significantly better coverage than MBC. 2 to 3 coats give full coverage on most colors."
2Q. How does the OMNI MBP compare for price with OMNI MBC?
2A. "MBP is more expensive than MBC. It is priced directly between MBC and DBC."

3Q. Any idea why PPG is calling this OMNI MBP a URETHANE in the product sheets although it is still just a base coat system?
3A. "All PPG basecoats (except Envirobase) are made with an acrylic urethane resin base."
If further assistance is required, please contact us at the Technical
Service number listed below.

We have established an automated faxing system that allows you to fax
yourself product bulletins 24 hours a day. The PPG FaxBack number
is 800-450-2654. If you order document number 24747 from our FaxBack
system, this document provides the instructions on how to use the system and the indexes that are available.

PPG Technical Service office is open Monday - Friday, 8:00-6:00 EST.
This office can be reached at 440-572-6111 or FAX 440-572-6772. The
E-mail address is - [email protected]. You can also find us on
the web at www.ppgrefinish.com

I did not know that PPG base coats were considered URETHANEs. Interesting. I learned something. :D

Has anyone tried or priced the PPG OMNI MBP Base Coat yet?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:04 pm
I purchased MBC late last week, so I can assure you if something new has not been released yet, it will be before the cows come home!! Story of my life.............

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:04 am
Hi z28 bum,

I wouldn't fret to much about it. Personally have never been disappointed with OMNI MBC. :) Hmmm why not get rid of MBC in light of the NEW and IMPROVED OMNI MBP though?

I think the MBP is a great idea but it is also a sign of our times and economy. I seem to remember PPG buying ICI AUTOCOLOR some years ago. Think that brand is now called NEXA AUTOCOLOR an EXPENSIVE TOP LINE PAINT bought by PPG. Anyway they as in ICI AUTOCOLOR also had an Economy LABEL that was rated rather well. Kind of wonder if the MBP is it and just showing up with the OMNI MBP LABEL now? That ICI economy brand had been a bit higher for cost then MBC and was suppose to be a better product.
According to PPG the OMNI MBP fits between OMNI MBC and DELTRON DBC. AGAIN Hmmmmm why not get rid of MBC?
Why does PPG need a product to fit between OMNI MBC and DELTRON DBC? Marketing People are a Strange LOT.

Wanna read something interesting? If this had been OMNI, NASON, Dimension or whatever for an ECONOMY Brand then they would have jumped up and down with both feet. Look at the reported coverage problem.
http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/bb ... read=32713

I do know DuPont and Several OTHER Paint Manufacturers are recommending Value Shade Primers with their upper end base coats now.
Wonder why - has their hiding and coverage decreased?

Again find it interesting that PPG Claims their base coats are Urethane (except Envirobase). I learned something. I had always thought most base coats were more or less Acrylic Enamels with Binders and Driers added.

I do remember a conversation where a fella was talking about Glasurit Base Coat being a Urethane base coat. Hmmmm imagine OMNI MBC being a "urethane" base coat too because it is reported to be made with urethane resins. :)

I don't think this MBP product has been out long or your jobber might have tried to sell it to you.

Don
P.S. The part about the former economy brand from ICI being relabled as MBP is pure assumption and "what-if" on my behalf. :)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:46 am
Well, conidering my limited painting ability, I guess the last thing I need is a new paint to play with. I'm waiting for the new one that does all the sanding for me, sprays itself to a perfect finish, and once in service self cleans while I sip drinks by the pool. Let me know when it hits the shelves!! :D

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:44 pm
for 80,000 a year. I'll sell ya that paint job. :shock:

(just ignore the idiot that's always by the car with polishing cloths and touch up gun in hand) :roll:

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:15 pm
Just for public info about my comments from the above post concerning ICI AUTOCOLOR and PPG:

This is the INFO where PPG bought ICI AUTOCOLOR Company COMPONENT and has renamed the ICI AutoColor Paint to PPG NEXA AUTOCOLOR?
The NEWS RELEASE:
http://www.ppg.com/nexaautocolor/pressrelease.pdf
THE OLD/NEW - ICI/PPG Website:
http://www.ppg.com/nexaautocolor/index.html
The PPG WEBSITE:
http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/f ... asp?Cat=19

Just so that people are more informed on this forum VS other Forums where someone just asked about the HISTORY OF ICI AUTOCOLOR. :D
http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/bb ... read=32869

You know sometimes think people read things such as I had posted above in the second post and doubt what I am saying so they go ask somewhere else to confirm. Why would someone do that? It is easy to prove it. :D

Return to Body and Paint