how long btween primer and paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:17 am
I plan on scuffing up the car and spraying 2k on it but it is going to be a little while before the actual paint. How long can I wait? Also how much primer do I need to buy for a buick regal?

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:44 am
If you are using a urathane 2k primer...you can wait to finish the job for a LONG time. It does not assorb moisture like "rattlecan" primer.
How much on a regle...well it depends how many of the parts you are taking off the car to be primered. I took of ALOT of parts on my car and I have used 2 gallons of the stuff, but I didnt use a reducer. Also if you are painting the WHOLE car...I.E. under the hood and deck lid...door jams ect.
You will probably need 2 gallons depending on the first coat coverage. Buy 1 gallon and shoot it and if you need more just come off the hip and buy another gallon....thats what I did...I only want to do this JOB once.
Man, Im tired of sanding :D

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:44 am
I think 1 gallon should be enough as long as you have your gun settings right... I have never used over 1 gallon doing overalls including jams.. Just my opinion, and you can wait until you are ready before painting the car.. The 2k will stay closed as long as you dont sand it

BK
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:41 pm
BondoKing wrote:....and you can wait until you are ready before painting the car.. The 2k will stay closed as long as you dont sand it

BK

And if you DO sand it? That was my question earlier on primer and I don't think I got a final answer on it (I'll check again). If you guide coat and then spend a few days sanding (after work!), do you have to spray the basecoat right away, or can you wait a few days?
Restoring Mr2's, one car at a time: www.msnusers.com/mr2projects

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:11 pm
I think you should still be fine as long as you don't sand it down too thin (less than the minimum recommended thickness)... If you go thin or go through (obviously), blast some more on the area right away and you should be ok.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:09 pm
The primer will be fine on all accounts bro, sorry I missed that in your post.. It will not hurt for the primer to set as you sand different parts after work at night.... Now if you were driving this vehicle and getting road grime etc.. on it etc.. that would be a different story..

Lacquer primers are porous and urethanes are non porous products...

Enjoy prepping your car and dont worry about having to base real soon or anything.

BK
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:19 am
Thanks for the answer on that guys. I did go through on some sharp curves (tailight, etc.) so I'll shoot those again when I do the door jambs. Didn't mean to jack your thread fstrthnu, I thought my question was running on the same "thread" :wink:
Restoring Mr2's, one car at a time: www.msnusers.com/mr2projects

Return to Body and Paint