Dumb question on hood painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm
I plan on painting my hood on the car and I don't plan on painting the underside of it. Should I spray my primer and top coat with the hood fully shut or propped open a little and mask of the engine bay. I don't want to remove the hood since its gapped pretty good right now and while I can hang a door by myself, doing a hood is a different story. What is your advise?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm
To get good coverage on the edges , you can pop it open....but the question is color match, you will probably have to blend into your fenders for a match

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:50 pm
What color is the car you are painting?if its a metallic then you definitely need to blend the fenders. If its a solid color you might be able to get away with spraying the center of the hood and blending into the sides of the hood. Either way mask the engine bay to keep it protected and to keep all the crud from the engine bay from getting on your hood. Ive had a hood fish eye on me while spraying the clear bevause of the armor all vapors coming from under the hood.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:36 pm
Oh, I forgot to mention im painting the whole car in sections. I'll be painting it white.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:14 pm
If you are set on not taking off the hood then paint the edges on it first then let it dry, backmask your engine compartment then paint the exterior.

Chuck

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:51 am
Taking the hood off is much easier in the long run.
They're not that hard to do by yourself, I often
support the front open with a long stick and remove one hinge
side screws letting the corner down on a thick towel or blanket
then do the other side, then remove the stick and lower the front.
I do them all the time that way.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 am
Agree. I take them off wherever possible. Mark the positions of the bolts or hinges and do just as JC says.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 am
I guess that would give me an excuse to paint the engine bay. maybe ill clean it, rattle can the engine/trans gloss black, wrap up the engine/trans and rattle can the bay satin black. the budgets gone so thats the best i can do.

Return to Body and Paint