Flloor pan

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:33 pm
Can anyone help me with opinions on my 68's floor pan? My grandfather apparently pieced metal in places and on top of that installed it over the existing floor pan. Is there a way I can add pictures to my posts or send them to someone via email? Floor pans are something I have never messed with.....

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 pm
mustang 3.jpg
mustang2.jpg
mustang1.jpg
mustang.jpg
Here you go:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm
I depends on what you are trying to accomplish with this car. If its a full blown show car then you should get some new pans and weld them in.

For a driver, if the patches seem to be in good shape with no rust showing anywhere you might just grind the welds down and reseal everything with epoxy.

The rocker panel is where you definitely need to take a serious look inside.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I depends on what you are trying to accomplish with this car. If its a full blown show car then you should get some new pans and weld them in.

For a driver, if the patches seem to be in good shape with no rust showing anywhere you might just grind the welds down and reseal everything with epoxy.

The rocker panel is where you definitely need to take a serious look inside.

Not a concourse show car but an occasional driver with an occasional car show.
What do I need to do with the rocker?
Also, how do I check to make sure everything is perfectly square? I have the old manual that refers to a "datum line" but dumb me cant figure out how to check everything based on an imaginary line.....

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:58 pm
First you need to ensure that your car is sitting level on the jack stands. Then you measure diagonally from specific points on the frame rails. Ideally if the body is still straight the measurements will be the same. Also measure from corners to the floor to be sure the frame isn't warped.

I would remove the area where the rust hole is by using a cut off wheel.
You want to make sure the rust isn't spread throughout the rocker panel otherwise you are just wasting time painting it.
If it isn't full of holes or severely rusted you can clean it up, epoxy, and then weld a patch in.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:26 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:First you need to ensure that your car is sitting level on the jack stands. Then you measure diagonally from specific points on the frame rails. Ideally if the body is still straight the measurements will be the same. Also measure from corners to the floor to be sure the frame isn't warped.

You want to make sure the rust isn't spread throughout the rocker panel otherwise you are just wasting time painting it.
If it isn't full of holes or severely rusted you can clean it up, epoxy, and then weld a patch in.

How hard is it to replace the outer rocker?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:22 pm
Won't know until you see what's behind it.
Cut a small square of material out and remove that hole. You should be able to see enough to let you know which way to proceed.
The problem with restoration work is that once you start fixing things you find more things to fix. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:First you need to ensure that your car is sitting level on the jack stands. Then you measure diagonally from specific points on the frame rails. Ideally if the body is still straight the measurements will be the same. Also measure from corners to the floor to be sure the frame isn't warped.

So I just place jack stands on the front and rear frame rails to ensure everything is level?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 pm
stryped wrote:Can anyone help me with opinions on my 68's floor pan? My grandfather apparently pieced metal in places and on top of that installed it over the existing floor pan. Is there a way I can add pictures to my posts or send them to someone via email? Floor pans are something I have never messed with.....
Are you saying that in some places the floor has two layers, with new sheet metal above and original rusted floor pan below?

stryped wrote:

So I just place jack stands on the front and rear frame rails to ensure everything is level?
Assuming of course that all the jack stands are the same height (I've seen two from the same set 1/4" different! :shock: ) and the garage floor the jack stands are on is perfectly level, which it rarely is.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:41 pm
If you have a car "leveled" on jack stands it really doesn't matter if the stands are different heights since you will be using a level.
Measuring from the corners to the floor to determine if the frame is twisted or warped doesn't rely on the floor being perfectly level. Measuring at the two front corners should produce the same measurement as should the two back corners respectively.
If the frame is twisted, more than likely one corner will be considerably different than the other. This will usually show up while trying to get the car level.
1968 Coronet R/T

Next

Return to Body and Paint