Matrix Premium Base or PPG Shopline?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 am
Anyone have experience with BOTH? I have two local paint stores, one carries PPG and the other has Matrix. A gallon of the Matrix Premium Base cost about twice as much as the PPG Shopline and is closer in cost to the Deltron. The PPG dealer told me he would have to mix the color I need in the Shopline for whatever reason. It is a 1968 color that was Enamel I believe. Anyway, does anyone with experience with both have a recommendation as to pros and cons of each. I'm not worried about the cost difference. I just don't want to buy the more expensive one just to find out the other was a better product even though it cost less.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 am
Don't care for any of the bottom shelf products.
Why not get a quote from Tamco sold here on the site?

I used ProSpray for a number of projects but lately I have been ordering Automotive Art Motobase LV (http://www.automotiveartpaints.com/Products/) from here: http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... and-audio/

Sprays and covers great and their price quote will include shipping.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:43 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Don't care for any of the bottom shelf products.
Why not get a quote from Tamco sold here on the site?

I used ProSpray for a number of projects but lately I have been ordering Automotive Art Motobase LV (http://www.automotiveartpaints.com/Products/) from here: http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... and-audio/

Sprays and covers great and their price quote will include shipping.

Prosrpay and Motobase are the cats meow imo!! Wish I could get the stuff more where im located.

I hate to say this because I know its going to come off like I'm bashing tamco but I am not(I like the 5310 primer), but has anyone ever said where the products are produced? I've tracked all the addresses down and nothing comes up with a facility where production would be.

I just want to see a building where they say, "This is where our products are manufactured, not relabeled".

Also, to the OP. Definitely Matrix over Shopline!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 pm
I might be wrong but I got the impression they (Tamco) have their own paint plant. This was copied directly from their web site....

HELP LINE: When you call us - you get us very quickly, and you will talk with someone who knows their products. This is a family run business and everyone has many years of experience. Most of the time you will talk with the owner Tammy Miller. 1-800-678-1533, rings to her cell. She has been making paint with her dad since she was a child! Bob Barney (her father) has been in the paint business since 1979 and has manufactured and sold marine paints (topside and bottom paint), Industrial finishes and auto refinish paints. You can trust our experience. Tammy’s husband Sean Miller, is our head tech man. He also runs the paint plant. He has many years of painting experience, from production auto repairs to custom artwork. Sean has painted about every product on the market. He knows what paints do, and how to correct problems that arise.

Another thought would be they might be buying blending/manufacturing from larger plants. Sam Adams beers did that for quite awhile before investing in their own plants. I've even done it with stripping agents in the past. We bought the "idle" time of plants and had them blend to our spec.s for products and shipped our labels to them.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:02 pm
Darrel, they are not outsourcing production. Although they have grown so much over the last two years they will most likely need to expand again.

Made here in the good old USA in Virginia. Raw materials in by the semi trailer load, and cans of paint product out. Run by a family I've gotten to know and are solid, genuinely nice people.

Just a few of their friends:

https://www.instagram.com/tamcopaint/?hl=en
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439331589638566/

So, around 13,000 people and at least another 1,000 people here who have converted to using Tamco over the last couple of years. Anyone not using this paint, including their base paints - you owe yourself to give it a try at least.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 pm
Yeah, wasn't sure, just wanted to point out it is done by companies as needed. Worked my way through college in a large plastics plant. We did R & D for companies developing their specialized dies for making their "brand" of a product along with their material specs. Wasn't unusual to see several competing brands of a particular product being made side by side. Even being made like that most times the products would look similar but be completely different in wear characteristics, price point, etc.
I've been impressed with what I've seen of the Tamco line so far....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:29 am
I will definitely consider the Tamco line for my next project. For the one I'm working on now, I'm all ready committed to other brands. Not sure if I'd have issues with Tamco base coat cross linking with Matrix or PPG sealer and clear coats (which I already have) if I spray it all back to back just after the flash times.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 am
Lenny that is not an issue at all, Tamco base will behave over any true automotive paint system sealer. Same with the clears; it'll be happy under anything and conversely the Tamco clears will work over any brand base system.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:15 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:

The warranty argument that some people use to make sure you buy only their product line really doesn't make any difference to the hobbyist either.
Most of the paint manufacturer warranties require their products to be installed by a "certified professional" in a state of the art paint booth.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 pm
+1 for Automotive Art base. I have a local supplier that carries it and did a spray out on a fender for quality/ease of use and testing a color code for color change. It covered great.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/view ... =5&t=25574

I like the 1:1 ratio too.

I recall they mentioned any color was the same price, but $400 Cdn/gal still not cheap but was comparable to Matrix from another local supplier and it yeilds 2 gal RTS and I'm still saving tons on the labor so will bite the bullet. I thought about Omni and Shopline but read too many horry stories so will pass on them.

I still plan on using Tamco 2104 clear on my first full resto project, although attempting a silver with a MS/HS clear is probably not a good thing to start off using.
Next

Return to Body and Paint