Thinking of building a temporary paint booth...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:51 pm
on the side of my house. I don't want to paint in the garage as it's attached to the house and the fumes are bad enough when I run my parts washer or spray carb or brake cleaner.

I was thinking of building it out of conduit or pvc pipe and covering it all with visqueen (sp?) but maybe the route to take is one of those 10x20 temporary shelters like you can buy at Sam's.

I'm on an acre and a half in the country and the car is not drivable and I don't have a truck and trailer, otherwise I'd take it to a friend's place.

This will just be for epoxy primer, not finish coat. I'll likely take it to my friend's place to paint it in his booth. I'll be having the vehicle media blasted across the street and will need to prime it so I can work on it at my leisure.

I did a search, but I guess I don't know the finer points of the search engine so my results weren't as I'd hoped.

Anyone done anything like this?

Larry

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:24 pm
Id think a good Oklahoma wind would destroy it if it wasnt wooden. I would build it with lumber, unless youre only going to use it for a weekend or so.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:05 am
I have to say those temp. garage/shelter's are pretty sturdy!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:50 pm
My son and I both have one of those temp shelters, mine is bolted with anchors into my concrete driveway, his was tent pegged into the dirt. We had a pretty good storm this winter. Mine was fine, his took flight and ended up in a broken, crumpled mess about a 100 feet from where it started. If you have big winds it needs to be very well secured. Otherwise it would work fine but a 12 foot wide would be better, it's nice to have 3 feet all around the vehicle when you spray it.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:02 pm
I meet a guy not to long ago that restores classic cars. he works out of a arched tarp building about 15 x 30 and his jobs come out good. He even has some cars that won at car shows and are in magazines.

Return to Body and Paint