Accelerator in 2k primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:59 pm
Anyone use accelerator in their 2k to help it dry faster? Any thoughts on pro's and con's of this?

Kent

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
i have used some old glasurit accelarator in some nason 2k primer, used about 10% and it seemed to make the primer real hrd to sand, but diddnt really seem to dry faster??? couldnt really tell a difference other than ease of sanding. maybe i mixed it wrong? i dunno. thats my experience.
id rather hump a splintered 2x4 lubed with texas pete than work on a rusty car!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:07 pm
I cant tell you how many times I have used accelerator in the Dupont "Euro-Prime"

It helps the "Cure" time!

From what I can remember thats the only accelerator I have used in primer.

If you work at home you don't need it. A production shop,,,Thats a different story...

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:19 pm
I work from the back of my truck. I do mobile repair. I was told that adding a kicker will cut dry time in half. In my elements, esp. summer, that could be improved even more. Most of my fellow mobile guys say I am crazy and in for losing $$ for using a good product. If I can get close to rattle can dry times I will take the extra effort required.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 am
AAE,,,Have you used the new Dupont clear. Or do you use Dupont?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:01 am
I just heat cycle the primer (ready to sand in less than ten minutes)

heat it with a hair dryer, or heat gun, then cool it with compressed aitr, repeat about 4 times over 5 minutes, then let cool naturally.

ready to sand after it cools

I must admit this would probably work better on small parts (like motorcycles) than a whole car.

since the hardener for urethane primer is basically the same deal as clearcoat hardeners, I don't see why adding up to about 10% of accelerator would do any harm, except the caution that the faster you cure urethane, the more brittle it seems to become, so if your concerned with flexibility, I'd skip the turbo juice.

happy sanding!
Last edited by reckon on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe the state of arkansas flag colors should be,...................PRIMER"

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:08 am
I use Diamont paint. Slickernwormsperm sez that Dupont is superior. But, I don't want to have to fork over $1500 for a new system when no one has complained yet. I understand that duponts vindiator system is great.

How much of a role does air movement play in the drying time? Since all of my work is outside I have a lot of movement. Would the dryer penetrate deep enough to get it all dry or just the surface layers? I do have a small short wave lamp too.
Last edited by AAE on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:16 am
i say standox,, im sure dupot is great, but have had no xperience with it.
id rather hump a splintered 2x4 lubed with texas pete than work on a rusty car!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:16 am
My bad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:19 am
slickernwormsperm,,,If you get in a hurry and also want it to look good Dupont is your paint.

I love the stuff!
Next

Return to Body and Paint