Spraying Contact cement?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:56 pm
Ok, I'm going to be starting the interior of my car, and I had a few questions I thought you guys might be able to answer. First off, does anyone know where I can get this stuff? I am hoping my local autobody supply store carriesit...

Secondly, does it matter what kind of gun I spray in through? I was thinking I could just go buy some cheap Harbor Freight Type spray gun?
"it seemed like it might be fun, and it was, but not quite as fun as riding a greased turkey down a water slide at night wearing a tuxedo"

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:12 pm
...you can buy contact cement at any hardware/lumber/dyi store....auto parts stores sell it...walmart...many grocery stores have it..

i don't know about shooting it out of a paint gun though...the stuff's pretty thick and could screw the gun up in a hurry

buy some spray adhesive in a spray bomb

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 pm
no, this is Upholstery contact cement (trim adhesive). not just glue... I've been told my upholsterers that this is what you use. I just dont' know where to get it.
"it seemed like it might be fun, and it was, but not quite as fun as riding a greased turkey down a water slide at night wearing a tuxedo"

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:51 pm
Grayguy wrote:no, this is Upholstery contact cement (trim adhesive). not just glue... I've been told my upholsterers that this is what you use. I just dont' know where to get it.

and that's what i described in my original response....you ask'd about contact cement...i answered you

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:13 pm
I can't help much except to say that I've used a fabric adhesive in a spray gun before, and it sprays rather well as long as you keep the tip clean. This was a long time ago, but one thing I do know is that AEROSOLS SUCK. Find a pro upholstery supplier, phone your local upholsters and start asking questions, sometimes you get an **** sometimes you get a nice guy eager to help you out.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:28 am
this works very well for spraying upholstery adhesives

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=46720

best thing is, if you forget to clean it, they are only 15 bucks to replace!

the swivel cup makes shooting at any angle, no problem, like shooting up, for a headliner.

one note: the tip is only like 0.5mm, so some thick adhesives need to be thinned out a little
"I believe the state of arkansas flag colors should be,...................PRIMER"

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:24 am
Check with any laminate supplier, like "Formica" or "Wilsonart"
in your yellow pages. They sell contact cement in two grades.
"Brushable" and "Sprayable"
Most all the countertop fabricators use sprayable contact cement.
They spray it on, it's much easier and faster.
I did a headliner once with it and used a pressur gun and it worked great.
You have to spray it, it's the only way to do it so it doesn't soak into
the fabric. Of course most upholstery people do it that way too.
You can thin regular contact cement pretty easily, check with
the supplier.
The "contact cements" are the only thing that will hold up on a
cars headliner or upholstery.
The ones in a spray can will not.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:23 pm
thanks guys. I'll look around and make some phone calls. I already tried that airisole crap, that was definetly not gonna work.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:15 am
Maybe this will help. I get the adhesive from an upholstery supply.

http://forum.4adrive.com/t6417-s.html?&highlight=headliner[/img]

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:24 am
i suppose i never realized that contact cement was so hard to find....i've been using it for years and always stop at the 1st place that sells basic hardware, which includes my neighborhood Ralph's grocery...

here's a can i pick'd up recently at HomeDepot for under $5...you guys that keep referring back to upholstery shops...what kind of contact cement is there, other than contact cement...?

i've used this stuff for 20 years doing interiors, headliners and a bunch of other stuff....now i'm curious about what kind is so difficult to locate that it requires an upholsterer reveal trade secrets and afraid my door panels i made 20 years ago are gonna fall apart because i mighta used the wrong stuff
Next

Return to Body and Paint