sand blasting question

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:38 pm
I have been sandblasting a set of steel rims. Well, over all things have gone well. I am using a 40lbs pressurised sand blaster from HF, and black blast for my sand (low in silica). Well, my problem is this; I use a face shield to protect my face from the sand bouncing back. It works pretty well, actually too good. It is now getting very hard to see through it.

What do you guys/gals use to protect your face? I do not want to keep buying these face shield every couple of pieces I sand blast, as that would be about $15 a pop.

Are there any cheap alternatives, or a mask that will have removable lenses?

I need something fairly cheap, as I will only be doing my radiator core support, subframe, firewall, and inner fenders, and one more steel rim, and then will not use this blaster for quite a while.

thanks as always
1969 Nogo

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:07 am
Buy one more (so you'll have a good one to start) and a pack of tear off covers for a supplied air hood. Just peal the old one off when it gets too nasty and add another. I'm sure the pros have other ways or supplies but you can get these at your paint store.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:59 am

That should work, but now I need to find them. I do know know of any places that sell autobody supplies around here, any onlines sources that have these?

Thanks again!
1969 Nogo

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:35 am
If you are reasonably close to Minneapolis, there should be several suppliers in the area. Check out the phone book. You'll want to find someone local anyway. They will be a valuable source of help and information plus there are a lot of supplies that are difficult to have shipped anyway. Shippers don't like small lots of some of our chemicals like reducers. Its about like trying to mail a gallon of gasoline.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:36 pm
I haven't been blasting long, but my brother-in-lw uses an old welding helmet. His respirator fits under it and he uses clear glass in the lens and replaces it when it gets too beat up.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail