best rocker panel texture spray?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:24 pm
need to do a porsche 944 re-texture, i have been using 3m rattle can medium for rockers but its kinda inconsistant, and tends to spit even with a new can.

so any suggestions on a rattle can or sprayable product. i have a 2.0 primer gun, anything i can spray through that to give me a nice texture?

im really looking for more of a finer sharper texture.

consistant like truck bed liner, which is what im considering doing.
id rather hump a splintered 2x4 lubed with texas pete than work on a rusty car!

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:01 am
Ive never used it, but do they still make rocker schutz? Try your paint jobber.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:10 am
If I could piggyback onto this topic...

My wife's Miata has lower-body texture applied, schutz or whatever. Anyway, there's a spot about the size of a quarter where it's lifted and chipped away, showing primer below. The area is on the lower part of a front fender.

How should I fix this? I don't want to spray the whole car right now, so I'm planning on doing just the panel. I've never used schutz or texture before.

Do I need a flex additive in the paint that goes over the schutz? I think the car (1991 model) is single-stage factory paint. Seems like if it didn't have some flex additive in it it would just chip again when a rock hits it. If the schutz stuff is designed to be flexible and absorb rock hits, wouldn't a hard paint over top of that chip easily?

Maybe I should just strip all that bumpy stuff off the car and respray the whole car, I think that rough surface stuff looks bad anyway.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:09 am
So nobody has worked with this body schutz stuff??

How do I go about topcoating it? Is it sanded before basecoating? (I wouldn't think so).

??

Return to Body and Paint