Painting a pick-up truck frame without removing the body?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:39 pm
Hello to all. I'm fairly new here. Have been reading and learning tons about painting though. Have one question which I've been unable to find an answer.

I have a 4x4 pick-up with some significant frame rust. The rest of the truck is solid and virtually rust free. Since it's 4 wheel drive, it is driven in the worst conditions. (snow, mud, etc.) I plan to keep the truck for many more years. It' needs excellent protection from the elements, but the appearance of the paint is not a priority. (It has running boards, so the frame is practically out of sight) I use the truck to haul lumber, car parts, etc. It's NOT a show truck, it's a work truck.

Two of the local paint stores (PPG & DuPont) recommended sandblasting and using an epoxy primer and a urethane topcoat. (I read the same recommendation on this forum several times) The problem is that this requires disassembling the truck which is a LOT of work. Is there an easier way to paint this frame and still properly protect it?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:36 pm
Since no one has replied, I will for them.

Everyone is saying, "Good Luck".

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:35 am
I don't see an easy way out of the kind of repair and future protection that you are looking for regardless of whether the frame can be seen or not. It's like saying I don't care how good the car looks as long as the paint job is done right - it will take the same amount of work to prepare and apply the product regardless.

Why not do it in sections instead of tackling the whole thing at once? Work your way from the back to the front doing a little at a time. Just a thought.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:40 am
I HATE the "Magic potions" like POR15, but I have to say, this is one place where it may be the way to go. Wire brush it, and slather on some POR15.

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Return to Body and Paint