Fast Reducer VS Slow Reducer Need Some clarification

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:41 pm
what is the guideline for to determine whether I use a fast or slow reducer for my basecoat or clearcoat? Is it just temperature? Humidity? Both? I have both a slow and fast reducer for my basecoat and just a slow reducer for the clear. The weather has been upper 70's and humidity kinda high when I've been doing most of my painting. Seems that I have much better results spraying when using a fast reducer in those conditons...Tried to search but couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anybody educate me on this a little? Thanks!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:05 am
Yesh....mainly just a temperature thing. Your product sheets should give you the temperature range for each reducer speed. Some painters will also adjust the clear reducer to give them different results. Like use a slower reducer to let the clear flow out better to minimize orange peel. But this will also increase the "dust free" times and offer more of a chance for runs and sags so sometimes it's a tradeoff.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:54 am
Would it be possible to adjust the drying time of the clear coat by varying the amount of hardener.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:18 am
Black Bart asked,,"Would it be possible to adjust the drying time of the clear coat by varying the amount of hardener?

NO! You should ALWAYS go by the book when it comes to mixing of any products with hardener. They do make different temp ranges of hardener for some products,, but if it tells you to mix 4 to 1, you better mix it that way.
Remember, Hardener works with your cure time and reducer works with your flash time.

Back to JuicedSaleen's question.
Its just temp you have to worry about. Humidity will change it very little. Just go by the info that they give you with the paint.

One thing I will tell you,,,Its better to be to slow with your reducer than to be to fast. Especially when it comes to your base coat!
In other words if its 70 degrees in your booth it would be better to use a reducer that's rated for 70-80 than it would be to use one that's rated for 60-70.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:50 am
So the humidity really has no effect? It's been like 75% humidity and I was thinking that was way to much to be doing any kind of work so I just planned to do other stuff until and not spray until the humidity dropped. I was thinking somewhere around 60% is the area I should stay in when spraying.

I use the lbr-1370 and the lbr-1380 but don't see any mention of a temperature range I should be using these. IMO it would be nice to just print it on the can and save a lot of research.
https://www.basfrefinish.com/cgi-bin/capbsm/java/ListLiterature.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1402391857.1189348175@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladdlmfhmgikcefecgefdgjhdfmo.0&keywords=lbr%201380&doc_type=&line_code=&country=All&language=All&pageName=home

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:21 am
Also you can mix reducers to get different temps. Found that out last time I painted. All the jobber had was very slow and medium. I painted some early in the morning so I mixed a little very slow and medium to make a slow. I called the HOK tech line first and they said it was fine to do this.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:27 pm
Thanks Sportbikepainter! Good comment. I forgot to tell him about that.

Yea JuicedSaleen you can mix your reducers of different temp's. Just make sure they are the same brand.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:13 pm
Thanks guys, I posted the link above to my sheets on the reducers and I can't seem to find the temp range listed for the slow and fast reducer. Sorry to be a pain but would you guys glance over them and see if I'm missing them somewhere...lots of info on the sheets but I really can't make sense off of most it and don't see a suggested temperature range mentioned.....

I know my clear has the temp range and mix ratio in huge letter right on the can...no such luck w/ the recucer for my base and I can't seem to locate it.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 pm
I searched that product number, but came up with nothing.

The link you provided said the session had expired.
Next

Return to Body and Paint