Nason BC/CC Sucks!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:36 pm
What a long day. Today me and my brother went to practice BC CC on an old hood. After priming, sanding with 600, cleaning surface by Sikkens M600, I mixed the Nason BC 2:1.
Then I adjusted my gun pressure, everything checked.
When I was spraying the BC, I noticed it doesn't cover well at all :roll:
No matter what I did, tried different gun settings, I just couldn't get it to spray right.
I tried different settings, gun distance and pressure as perfect, it sprayed with orange peel texture (when it was dry, orange peel texture was gone, what the hell? :lol: )

Same thing with Nason clear (496-00). It sucks. Like the BC, it sprayed with orange peel texture and we realized when it was getting dry, the orange peel was getting better(still some orange peel). But still, I wont use Nason again.
maybe their primers or sealer, not their BC/CC.

I used U-TECH SS paint before (2 months ago), it was my first time using a paint gun and the result was Perfect. It sprayed like glass!

So should I go with Chromabase system next time?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:19 pm
#1 most base coats will lay out as there drying a little. Your not exactly trying to get your basecoat like glass. Your looking for coverage it may take several coats depending on color. Nason is not a good covering base anyway for the most part. As for the clear 496-00 is something of a quick clear it is not going to flow like 497-00 would. I use the 496 for small panels ect and 497 for large all overs or a whole side ect. Anyway you will have to lay the 496 on a little wetter to get it to really lay down. At anyrate the Nason clear is not a bad clear at all.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:10 pm
MO-Cummins, thanks for reply.
Nason TDS reccomends spraying "2 medium wet coats", it took me about 3 coats to get it to cover right. You are right, its not a good covering basecoat.

As for the clear, the supplier gave me 496, 497 was available in gallon only, I only needed a quart. But he didin't say anything about their differences. :roll:

How does chromabase BC/CC compare to Nason?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 am
chromabase is aboviously a step in a better direction. Again though DUPONT base dont cover worth the **** in alot of cases. The clear is going to be quite a bit better. I like the 7900 clear. Like i said though the 49 7 Nason aint to bad, but as far as base PPG or Matrix sprays awesome and covers great.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:23 pm
I've done a car with Nason and one with a Chroma system. The only real differences I could tell in shooting, was the Chroma had better coverage and the clear seemed to lay thicker. I didn't have any of the weird acting peel you describe with either system.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:17 pm
ZarBat007,,

Read this

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9212

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:11 am
Thanks ODG, I'ce read that one. Great tip BTW
:D

Me and this guy seem to share the same problem:
http://www.autobody101.com/forums/about8988.html

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:36 pm
maybe you should use the appropriate shade of sealer. ex. using a white or light grey sealer and spraying a black bc will take longer to cover versus using a darker sealer. that will help you wil your coverage problems. i use nason sealer and tint it to what i think is the right shade for the basecoat. also theres nothing wrong with the 496, ive used it to shoot whole sides of vehicles, comes out fine. i wouldnt use it to shoot a complete though. check your settings.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 pm
I use Nason on almost an everyday basis. I never said there was anything wrong with 496 i said it was not meant to be a overall clear and it is not. It IS a faster drying clear and it WILL NOT flow like 497 PERIOD. I

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:52 pm
i started using nason 465-00 on nearly everything, switched from dupont, i pay $140 a kit. i love it, bake @ 150deg. dry sand easy, buffs as soon as it cools down after 15 minutes bake. easily flows. builds well looks deep.
i spray it at home as well. best bang for the buck, tried transtar 7211 its ok but nason is way better.

take a look at some of the nason jobs i have done,,
the white golf, blue corolla, red golf. gold rabbut was transtar, and the notch back was standox. i use standox base mostly, but solid colors on a budjet ill use valspar. nason base is junk.
id rather hump a splintered 2x4 lubed with texas pete than work on a rusty car!
Next

Return to Body and Paint