Ever Try MIG welding studs?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:47 pm
I have a good MIG welder and I was wondering if it would be practical to MIG weld studs for dent pulling, as opposed to buying a stud welder.

Anyone ever try it?

Thanks for your responses.
Doc
ASE Master
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:38 pm
Sure you can do it,,,It just takes longer..............................

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:04 pm
Yup done it, when the stinger was broke. For the do it your self person not a bad idea. HTP has a nozzle for stud welding also. I think the site is weldusa. Good luck

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm
Thanks very much guys.

Just so that the information is here in case someone should come searching for it at a later time, the nozzle that Jay talked about is in an HTP kit number 12015. It includes a slide hammer, 500 studs and the nozzle. I have yet to learn the price or a source.

Thanks again. I figured that there had to be a poor boys way to use either my MIG welder or crackle box to get the job done.
Doc
ASE Master

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 pm
Just call HTP directly. I bought my welder from them and they seem to be very helpful. you can buy the kit from them and they'll ship it.

They make two stud puller kits #12015 "B" and "T", a Binzel gun version ($65.00) & a Tweco style ($95.00)

their ph # is 800-USA-WELD.

I bought their dual voltage machine DV160 and it works well, seems to be pretty well made stuff.

If you buy the stud lit I'd like to know how well it works, I could use one as too.

Evan

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:58 am
i have the set up for the HTP stud puller for my mig. It works good. I think if i can recall i hae the binzle. GL

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:36 pm
Okay, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say Binzel or TWECO. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks again.
Doc
ASE Master

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:58 pm
Okay, a little googling and I now know what I suspected and that is that Binzel and TWECO are the two MIG gun styles. I'm sure that the people on the phone at HTP will know which one I need. I have a Millermatic 175.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
Doc
ASE Master

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:11 pm
I have a Millermatic 175.

That should be a "Binzel" gun, Miller's M10.
Let me know what the part number is. I have the same gun.
There is no one right way to paint a car, but there are a whole lot of wrong ways

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:43 pm
I called the USAWeld people and they said that they did not have a nozzle for my welder and gave me reasons not to do it anyway. They said that the MIG method heated the metal too much, so they tried to sell me the economy starter kit.

I decided to rethink it, and saw a post here or somewhere else talking about MIGging the edge of a washer and then pull the washer using a hook on a slide hammer. At this point, unless someone has other suggestions, I will either do this, or I will just drill some holes and use my metal screw slide hammer and then MIG the holes shut.

Thanks for the responses.
Doc
ASE Master
Next

Return to Body and Paint