Need help choosing a PPG paint system

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:02 pm
What PPG paint system would be best for my situation? I will be painting at home in a self built paint room. I will let the parts air dry. I looked at the PPG website and found the Deltron, Shop-Line and Value-Pro lines seem to be for the DIY'er and will air dry. But I have no experience with these paints. In my area, I have Sherwin-Williams, Napa and PPG distributors.

I will be painting a new urethane bumper, a used red urethane bumper, and portions of my vehicle where the paint has come off. The door area (metal) and the front bumper (urethane). I will be using an Astro Evo 4014 & 4018 LVLP guns.

I will be painting these pieces the factory white color. The vehicle is a 95' Mustang.

On the used red urethane bumper there are no cracks, spider webs, chips, etc. Good factory paint, so I will scuff really good, prep, and paint over the red color.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank You.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Have you done any body work in the past? I ask that because you can often be dismissed by a busy jobber who is just not interested in the few dollars you will generate over the course of your hobby. If it were me I'd visit all of the jobbers (the PPG, Sherwin, NAPA etc.) and see who is the most genuinely interested in helping you. My favorite jobber in my area is owned by a man and his wife. They both paint and they have a ton of picture of different projects they have done. They carry Dupont and House of Kolor paint. They will help you get your supplies, get your air supply up and running, and you will see them at the local car shows and cruise nights. My suggestion is find a good jobber and go with that brand for your first few projects.
Dave

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:47 am
Yes, I have done some body work and painting in the past. The jobbers in this area are very friendly and helpful and I am always questioning them when I have questions regarding whatever project I have at the time. I have used Martin-Senour paints in the past.

Their are a ton of PPG platinum distributors in the area, and would like to use PPG paint this time. I was just wondering if anyone had used any of these paint systems before so I could get a possible heads-up on any of these systems.

My concern is coverage and paint matching. I have read that value lines are really transparent and usually require more coats to cover. I like to be forwarned and loaded with info before I talk to anyone selling a product, since in essence, they are still a salesman selling a particular product.

Thank You.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:56 am
http://autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7828

That should help a bit...:)

White's generally cover well too.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:12 pm
Well the only PPG that I have painted with recently is their Shopline. It is made specifically as a low cost paint for bodyshops. It probably is a step up from Omni and it covered well--I used an astro 4014. The clear really buffed out nice. Still, you might want to go with a better line if this is a restoration and not just a daily driver.
Dave

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:18 pm
Im a first timer painting,i just posted pics of the results of my first piece.I used ppg dbc for paint and the 2021 clear.
It was painted at home.
If you go to my thread,you can see the pics,i am very happy with the ppg.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm
color match with omni is sooooooooooo bad, I don't use it anymore at all. It is ok if you are going to paint the whole car, it does not cover well though.

Deltron is great paint, for bumpers and a door on a 13 year old car I would use deltron base and a cheaper clear. Omni clear is not bad. there are lots of budget clears that are great. do a search and you will get lots of opinions on clears!!
Dr. Auto Car Repairs http://www.doctorautorepair.com

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 pm
Thank you gentlemen for all your input. I'm going to use the Deltron. I will keep you guys posted on how my project goes. I will also try to post before and after pics.

Thank You.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:43 pm
ppg's valuepro is a really nice looking clear for half the price.i sprayed it a couple of years ago.the rumor was they re-labeled the old deltron2002.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm
i found myself shooting BDC most of the time, great paint for color match compare to omni. omni is find for a daily grinder/driver over all paint, i wouldnt use it to color match tho

Return to Body and Paint