First Water-borne Clear Coat available in U.S.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:14 am
Anyone heard of this stuff yet?
It's supposed to be available in January 2009.

[color=dark blue]
“GREEN” AUTOMOTIVE CLEAR COAT TECHNOLOGY

First Water-borne Clear Coat that Beats EPA Standards

October 7, 2008

Lenexa, KS - Two Kansas companies, Premier Paint 2000, Inc. & C3 Technology, LLC. along with Tech Line Coatings, Inc. in California are proud to introduce the first water-borne clear coat on the automotive paint market. This technology breakthrough is years ahead of the competition and exceeds EPA standards.

California and Canada’s new environmental policies have pushed companies to create products that match or exceed new regulations. In both, California and Canada, auto shops are facing strict changes to VOC (volatile organic compounds) emission rules by the end of this year. South Coast California Air Quality District (AQMD) now requires that multi-stage clear coats have a 250g/L (2.1 lb./gal.) VOC emissions rating or better. AQMD, Rule 1151 (http://aqmd.gov/rules/reg/reg11/r1151.pdf) went into effect July 01, 2008, with complete conversion expected by December 31, 2008. Canada’s new regulation matches California’s, but won’t be required until 2010. Single-stage clear coats will require 340 g/L (2.8 lb./gal.) emission rating in California, 420 g/L (3.5 lb./gal.) in Canada. WBCC falls into the single application category of 1.2 lb./gal. VOC, well below EPA, California and Canada’s standards!

Water-borne paint is the best environmental option on the market. Several paint manufacturers anticipated the change well over a decade ago and have technology, equipment and training available for auto shops in transition when it comes to toner, but none of these companies thought to produce one of the most important steps in painting a vehicle, the clear coat. It’s what makes a Corvette or a Ford F150 shine the brightest.

Premier Paint 2000 owner, Rick Wray, did predict the need and the change. While automotive paint leaders are in the beginning phases of development and are years away from a product, the group is in its final testing period, ready to sell, WBCC, Tomorrow’s Technology TODAY!

Testing proves WBCC is durable to environmental stresses, is compatible with all water-borne and solvent based paints, and provides a shine that matches or exceeds current market standards. A very important feature of WBCC is the absence of any isocyanates. A chemical that has been proven to cause medical conditions from asthma to cancer.
[/color]
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:58 am
Interesting.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:42 pm
Premier Paint 2000 has a TERRRIBLE reputation...

I've used there touchup system its a joke and there not "chemist" there just family owned business who repackages/relabels products...

I've been using the speedokote.com clearcoat with great sucess...

Its 2k AIR DRY in 15 minutes, dust free in 1 minutes and no recoat times. Universal hardner, it IR cures in 2 minutes...

They also have a 2k primer which is dry 15 minutes, havent used it yet but heard people are having great sucess

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:17 pm
I know nothing about Premier Paint 2000 other than visiting their website but I think PaintDevil is right. Judging by their website, they are nothing more than some hucksters trying to hustle mobile detailers into taking on their line.
Nightrain, I have been following your posts and it will be cool someday when there is a waterbourne clear for the auto refinish market. But I would be real skeptical of this clear unless by some remote chance they hooked up with a legit chemist and agreed to do the marketing.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 pm
Water-borne clear for automotive is not a new concept. There are some clears already out there from numerous suppliers. Some have been mentioned on this forum already. In my experience they have all fallen short of current solvent technology either as a result below standard appearance, performance ot both.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:42 pm
Yeah fireboat, when they say they're the ONLY ones developing a low VOC clearcoat, then huckster comes to mind. Actually several mfgs have been working hard on this for years. I understand that Sherwin-Williams is real close to developing one too.

Paintdevil, the Speedokote stuff is interesting too. Low VOCs for sure at 2.1 lb/gal.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 pm
Bayou_Eagle wrote:Water-borne clear for automotive is not a new concept. There are some clears already out there from numerous suppliers. Some have been mentioned on this forum already. In my experience they have all fallen short of current solvent technology either as a result below standard appearance, performance ot both.

BE, I'd be interested in what suppliers? The only one I'm familiar with is Sikkens, which is only available in Europe at present.

I've been looking all over, and cannot find a U.S. supplier, other than industrial type WB clearcoats.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:59 am
NightTrain - this thread reminds me I emailed SIKKENS about their water-bourne clearcoat through AKZO NOBEL some time ago but never got a reply.

I underdstand this clear has to be bake-cured so probably would be no use for refinishers and especially garage weekenders like me with only a heat paint stripper to cure small refinished areas or a nice sunny day to do the curing?

I'll post here if I ever get a reply, but I don't hold much hope!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:43 am
Zippy wrote:NightTrain - this thread reminds me I emailed SIKKENS about their water-bourne clearcoat through AKZO NOBEL some time ago but never got a reply.

I underdstand this clear has to be bake-cured so probably would be no use for refinishers and especially garage weekenders like me with only a heat paint stripper to cure small refinished areas or a nice sunny day to do the curing?

I'll post here if I ever get a reply, but I don't hold much hope!

I'd be interested to hear their response. I've been hoping that stuff would make it over to North America, Its been out for quite a while now. The Voc level on the sikkens stuff is 380 g/L.
http://www.autobodyreviews.com

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 pm
2.1 voc is already available in solvent. Also 380 g/l is over 3 lbs voc. That is higher than the new California standard. Are these options really that enviro friendly?
Next

Return to Body and Paint