Kirker Single Stage and ********** Universal Clear- OK together?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Kirker has some pretty cool colors, and the price sure is right. I'm scheming another paint extravaganza (fiasco? :lol: ) and my plan is to shoot some of that Kirker and coat it with the Universal Clear. I know Kirker sells clearcoat especially for use over SS, but that's another unknown; and I know, like and have in stock the Universal Clear. This will cause me no problems, correct? :)

I'm looking at the Daytona Blue Pearl, to be specific.

Thanks.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:36 pm
You likely cannot match them spraying wet on wet. If you sprayed your singlestage, let it dry, sand and clear it would be fine. Usually the only time it is acceptable to spray clear over SS is when the two share the same hardener.
http://www.autobodyreviews.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 pm
According to Barry's tech sheet on the universal, it can be sprayed over any activated single stage after sitting over night.
let the Kirker sit over night and the next morning, you're good to go.

Hope this helps,

Dan

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 pm
I stand corrected. Looks like you can, good to know. Most manufacturers I've come across in the past have you cap your singlestage with a clear that uses the same hardener (usually right away, not after sitting).
http://www.autobodyreviews.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 pm
I looked on the Kirker's website and I didn't see the Daytona Blue Pearl.

Got a link?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 pm
Thanks guys, I know about the different activators deal. I just wanted to run it by the community.

The color is Ultra Blue Pearl :oops: I was screwed up
http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/html/ga ... 37&SORT=27 There is a Daytona something or other, but the Ultra Blue Pearl really grabs me. :)

Is that a bad **** color or what?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:16 pm
I think this blue looks better.
http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/html/ga ... 77&SORT=58
There is no one right way to paint a car, but there are a whole lot of wrong ways

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:41 pm
no wet on wet as someone already said. let the kirker kick off then the folowing day you will be fine. once the kirker is kicked off its no different than scuffing the paint on your car and reclearing. its a cured paint, it will work fine.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am
jim c wrote:once the kirker is kicked off its no different than scuffing the paint on your car and reclearing.

Thanks Jim, I'm with you on that. But that does raise a question... is this a true pearl, or is it a "pearl :wink: ". I have no experience with pearl, and what if I can't sand it without ruining the effect? I have to look at Kirker's products again; they do sell a clear specifically for clearing the Ultra-Glo paints. In fact, on a couple of their heavy metallic flake colors, they recommend clearing it. I wonder if it uses the same activator?

I think a little research and experimenting is in order here. It comes to mind that I might check out the Kirker clear, and maybe even use it as an intercoat under the Universal Clear. Am I nuts? And I will concentrate on spraying the single stage for coverage and even effect, and not worry about gloss. I have heard somebody talking about how they had a hard time shooting an Ultra-Glo metallic wet enough to get gloss without mottling. Maybe I should look up that thread, don't know where I saw it.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:28 am
DO NOT SAND THE SINGLE STAGE THE NEXT MORNING.. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TAC IT OFF AND THEN SPRAY YOUR UNIVERSAL CLEAR OVER IT..

I REPEAT.. DO NOT SAND THE SINGLE STAGE.. THIS IS NOT NEEDED IN THIS APPLICATION AND THE CLEAR WILL STICK PERFECTLY..
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!
Next

Return to Body and Paint