PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT - Positive-Pressure Air-Supplied Hoods

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:28 pm
I am a newbie to this site and to painting. The first thing I did when I decided I wanted to paint my own car was to start researching saftey hazards.

Everyone probably knows about Isocyanates and the severe danger involved with over-exposure to them.

If not, this is a great link to get aquainted with:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/ha ... tions.html

I found the following site while looking for Positive Pressure Air-Supplied protective equipment. They have cheap HazMat coveralls, Nitrile gloves, and cheap PPAS Hoods. All you need is an air source. I am planning on using a small compressor (outside of the building and filtered well) when I paint, for my breathing-air.
$16.50 for the hoods. A lot cheaper than the SCBA and HobbyAir systems....

http://www.mohawksafety.com

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:09 pm
DO NOT DO IT!

I may be wrong, but I believe that breathing air from a "small compressor" without EXPENSIVE filtration probably is as bad as breathing Isocyanates.
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:25 am
I did it, and it has seemed to work for me. Just make sure that the intake for the fan is taking in clean air from outside, not paint fumes :mrgreen:

The hose I used was just like in the link, except a little bigger. I wanted as much air as possible ans used a 120CFM fan. The air is no dirtier than if you were standing right by the fan and breathing in outside air, except you are in a paint booth. 8)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:39 am
If you do this save yourself the money and just get a rag to tie over your face instead.

You can easily make a supplied air system with a small fan and some flexible tubing of around 2 inch diameter. Build a box with the fan inside and stick a tube on each end, one going to clean air with a furnace filter, the other to your mask. A bathroom fan inside a cardboard box wrapped in packing tape will work fine. Even cheaper than an air compressor, takes a little longer to set up, but probably better than breathing oil and carbon monoxide and god knows what else. Oil traps suitable for painting are NOT suitable for breathing. Use your brain now so you can use your lungs when you're 60.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:24 pm
After alot of years painting with what I thought was a good mask, I found a "fresh air" unit being sold at a body shop that was closing. I got 2 hoods that cover your whole head, and 50 feet of hose, and some type of small fan in a box. This was probably the cheapest fan for the unit, but, if it does ever go bad, I will use the bathroom fan idea, and mount it in that box. OH, when I spray, I don't smell any fumes. NONE! :wink: What a great investment. I wouldn't spray with the old resperators anymore. If I didn't have this unit, I would make one. Also, make sure it covers you eyes and ears as well. Alot of isocyanates can make their way in through those areas too.

Jim

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:05 pm
When I first set up my SAS hood with a filtered supply, I was in my garage with all three doors open. I put the hood on for a few minutes. Long enough for my nose to adapt, I guess. When I took the hood off, I noticed the garage kinda stunk. I decided the system worked quite well.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:19 pm
super cool info on making yuour own fresh air system. I almost shelled out $600 recently for a system but it was just to much. Was looking at buying one online for about $400. But I just wanted to make one myself and save $$$. Now I know how! I am going to build my box out of steel for the fab experience. I can set the box outside and run hose through my bay door exhaust port. I also plan to have the hose hang from ceiling and be on a rail or similar so it slides easily and is easy to use in the painting area.

Thanks again...it should run me under $100!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:13 pm
Few tips I recently picked up from one of the major supplied air system manufacturers:

Try to locate supplied air compressor not only out of the spray booth but outside of the building so it is sucking in nothing buy good clean fresh air and not bad stuff from the painting enviroment or you shop or from you paint spary compressor..Keep compressor in the shade..

To cool the air you breathe, place a few coils of the 50 foot air hose, between your supplied air compressor and the face mask, in a bucket of iced down water..Can reduce temp of air you are breathing by as much as 10 degrees which provides much more personal comfort while painting.

Keep supplied air compressor filters clean at all time..
frank n texas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:43 am
Any ideas on how to make a nice air supplied hood?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:33 pm
Cut 4 peices of MDF, router or table saw a lip into the side of each (same depth as whatever thickness acrylic you use) and use screws to form a rectangle. Make another one that's smaller so it clamps the acrylic sheet between the 2, drill holes and stick bolts through from the back, fiberglass them into the mdf and use wingnuts to clamp it down. THeres a removeable screen and holder. Fiberglass it into an open faced helmet, motorcycle, bicycle, whatever. Fiberglass a flat area over the mouth and attach a short tube so you can connect the air supply. Using a tight-weave polyester cut out a flap that'll attach all around the base of the helmet and front mask part, overlapping a good ways so theres no seam. Fiberglass it onto the helmet and it's now a comfortable hood with an easily replaceable screen. The air pressurizes the inside of the hood and moves down and out the neck. Make the cloth hang down past the shoulders but not real loose so it doesn't fall forward when you lean over.

At least, that's how I'd approach it.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies