Just a reminder about spraying base coat....................

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:02 am
I ran across this picture in my photobucket account a few min ago and wanted to remind some of you new guys that when you spray your base coat, dont put it on to wet.
I took this picture about 3min after I sprayed the first coat of base. When you apply your base, ya wanna spray it with just a "little" shine to it.
I hope this helps..............

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:37 am
ODG,
Do you spray your first coat to get complete coverage? Some suggest a mist coat or tack coat and then repeat until you have coverage.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 am
Terms like "mist coat," "tack coat," or "dry coat" is difficult to explain...
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:24 pm
You're not spraying for coverage,
you're spraying for eveness, smoothness.
If it doesn't cover then you do it again,
after it flashes. 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:01 pm
That's right,,,99% of the time your base coat will not cover on one coat,,,so don't try to make it.
Just apply nice even coats until its covered. It could take as much as 5-6 coats to get it covered.

And how do you know if its covered you ask?
Most base coats will cover in 2 or 3 coats (The good ones that is) Its important to have plenty of light shining on your panel or car so you can tell if you have coverage. If for some reason you pull the car outside and you can see through it,,,no problem. Just sand the clear with 600 and apply more base. Just don't sand through the clear.
Another way you can tell is just look at your tape and paper where you have masked if off and see.
The worse thing you can do is spray it too wet (Like you are spraying on single stage).

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:26 pm
The "mist" coat or tack coat to me is when the paint is applied very lightly and covers maybe 40% at best.

So I should try to spray and "even" coat which I believe to mean consistent in thickness whether it covers or not? Then continue to apply coats of base, with flash time of course, until I am sure it is completely covered?

Is this same technique applied when spraying clear coat?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:56 pm
Great tip ODG, thanks :D

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:57 pm
ODG,

Aren't you getting your two jobs mixed up? The picture shows your paint work, but the box in the background is fishing tackle. Come on, pick a career and get out of the middle of the road! :D

Seriously though, thanks for the instructive pic and the explanation that went with it.
Doc
ASE Master
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:13 pm
Hey,,,ya aint seen nothin yet :wink: ,,check out my web site. www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:11 pm
I always do those light coats to get coverage just on the primered areas that need good coverage then dust out the paint from there into the panel, I find that it helps with the paint blending to a match on the adjacent panel if the damage isn't at the edge of a panel.. Saves paint too!

Great advice tho! Most new painters do try to cover in one wet coat.
Spray King Repairs - One scratch at a time.
www.training.sprayking.ca
www.sprayking.ca
Next

Return to Body and Paint