Lenny B's First Restoration Project - 1968 Mustang

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 7247
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 am
Looking good. I'm sure you are anxious to start reassembly.

With 5 coats of clear you will want to wait a few days before the cut and buff. Try to get it unmasked and out in the sun for a few hours at least to help the clear cure.

I have had them stay soft for a few days.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 pm
Location: I live in a house
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
Lenny B wrote:Thanks for your compliment. Prior to this project, I never did any body or paint work...


Wow! Great job, and I'd never would have expected that answer! Now I feel ridiculous spending almost all summer on one trunk lid for my car.

Keep up the great work and keep posting photos of the reassembly process!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm
After a week at work I'm back to my 68' coupe project. All the Seafoam Green paint is done, YEAH! Up next is cut the clear and buff. Hopefully I don't hit the base. Also, thanks to all the guys that have helped with their advice along the way.

PS. I'm starting to love this car. Why Seafoam Green wasn't more popular is beyond me. It's a Great Color.
Attachments
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4166.JPG
IMG_4165.JPG
IMG_4155.JPG

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 pm
Well the cut and buff came out all right. The two gnats that managed their way into the clear coat both sanded out, YEAHHH. Now it's on to restoring all the pieces as I start assembling. This week is the rear end.
Attachments
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4365.JPG
IMG_4382.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm
A little more progress this morning. I used Cast-Blast Cast Iron Gray aerosol for the yoke. Seams like good stuff, for $10 rattle can paint.
Attachments
IMG_4419.JPG

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:53 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 pm
sweet job man !
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:09 pm
Managed to make some more progress this week. I rebuilt / replaced and installed the rear axle and springs, spindles, front and rear brakes, front springs, fuel and brake lines, tie rods, rebuilt the steering gear box and PS assist cylinder,
Attachments
steering-cylinder-01.JPG
Cylinder pre-restoration
steering-cylinder-01.JPG (72.62 KiB) Viewed 220 times
steering-cylinder-03.JPG
Cylinder components
steering-cylinder-03.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 220 times
steering-cylinder-06.JPG
Steering cylinder rebuilt
steering-cylinder-06.JPG (86.98 KiB) Viewed 220 times
IMG_4642.JPG
Rear axle
IMG_4642.JPG (62.64 KiB) Viewed 220 times
fr-brakes-suspension-05.JPG
Front suspension
fr-brakes-suspension-05.JPG (69.36 KiB) Viewed 220 times

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Inglewood, CA
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm
You are doing a really nice job on this project.

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:29 pm
Well another day of chipping away at it. The entire suspension and all brake hardware are in. The fuel tank is in. Both taillight and fuel sending unit / map light harness are rebuilt and installed. I also ran 12 gauge rear speaker wires for possibly upgrade later. Rear valance and tail lights are in as well as are the deck lid hinges / torsion bars and weather seal on the deck lid. The tank I decided to go with was a stainless steel one I bought new on Ebay for $150. Tank fit great and everything was right on it.
Attachments
IMG_4640.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG (69.25 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_4696.JPG
IMG_4696.JPG (104 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4695.JPG (69.01 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4694.JPG (77.25 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_4692.JPG
IMG_4692.JPG (63.43 KiB) Viewed 158 times

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am
Location: Detroit
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:36 pm
Trunk and back end are done. Next up is the under dash stuff and interior.
Attachments
lens-1968-coupe.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests