46 International project

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:24 pm
Check out the Red on the '62 Chevy: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25053&p=201216#p201216

It's a Dark Red.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm
Generally in hard to sand areas I try to shoot a reduced coat of 2k primer so that it lays down nice and smooth.
You will want to do the same thing with your clear coat. Usually on the last coat I will had some retarder to the clear.
If space is limited I would paint the cab first, then the bed so I could reassemble them on the frame.
Then the insides of the doors, the underside of the hood and inner fenders. If you have racks you can do both sides of the doors and fenders at the same time.

I gave you a suggestion on a Dark Red previously.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:55 pm
Thank you on the tips! When you say reduced 2k HB, at what mix is best. I have been using it, 4:1 with reducer. Should I be at 2 or 3:1 with reducer for that last coat of smooth Primer?

Also by using the thinner last coat of primer on the hard to sand areas, can you then just red or grey scotchbrite those areas for paint, instead of paper and block etc?

As for what to paint first, It was more of a simpler to harder to paint scenario. The frame and engine is all finished and parked in a enclosed trailer. I will just have to tot over the parts to paint. Was wondering if I would need to hone my skills on fenders/hood first before body...
Also was my plan ok to dry sand with 320 then wet with 400 then red? Still safe at 400 for solid color. Thx J

Also just found that thread on reducing clear, will definitely read that.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 pm
It somewhat depends on the 2k HB primer you are using. Most products have a tech sheet that can be accessed online and will tell you how much they can be reduced.

Off hand I would say no more than 20% reducer. Generally you mix 4 parts 2k with 1 part activator or 4:1 so 4:1:1 with reducer. Using a slow (high temperature) reducer will help it to lay down better as well.

Remember when block sanding panels to get them straight you want a reasonably long sanding block and coarse grit paper to start. Never press too hard on the sanding block or it will flex the panel and change the paper as soon as it stops cutting.
1968 Coronet R/T

Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects