1969 Chevy C10

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 am
I've reconditioned a few of those on Chevy/Pontiacs. If you run into some dulling that just does not seem to be coming out of the front clear face try Novus #2 plastic polish. Just use it by hand with a good polishing cloth.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:29 am
DarrelK wrote:I've reconditioned a few of those on Chevy/Pontiacs. If you run into some dulling that just does not seem to be coming out of the front clear face try Novus #2 plastic polish. Just use it by hand with a good polishing cloth.

Thanks for that. I was wanting to try a different product that I used last time.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:56 pm
That particular Novus product is used a lot in restoring high end clear lacquers, polyesters, and epoxies. Try to use it with a micro fiber rag or high end sheeting that has NO EDGE thread binding. If the rags are bound cut that stuff off. It is best to use Novus in kind of a two step fashion. Pre clean your plastic as best you can. Apply Novus almost like a wax but don't let it dry completely and hand buff. Next put the Novus on again. This time let it dry almost completely and hand buff again until you get an even sheen. That second step will kind of "fill in" micro scratching and since it is an interior part it stays nice looking for quite some time.....
I buy that stuff by the 1/2 gallon and decant it into 8 ounce bottles for the shop and myself on the road.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:27 pm
Ordered an 8oz bottle yesterday.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 am
Started reinstalling interior components.
Dash Pad Installed.JPG

Dash Reassembly.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 pm
Gauge Cluster before and after:
Gauge Cluster Removed.JPG

Reassembled.JPG

Installed the emergency brake, vent rod actuators and gauge cluster:
Installed.JPG

The Novus 2 scratch remover worked very well. It took me 4 or 5 applications but that may be due to operator error. I think I was pushing too hard when rubbing it on.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:16 pm
Man, it all looks awesome though! With the Novus try experimenting with your rag materials. I've even got some mini twisted wool buffs I use with it on an old air powered high speed angle drill. I've brought some really nasty plastics back from the dead with that stuff.... It's used a lot in high end furniture coating restoration especially the earliest of the real nitro lacquers.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 pm
I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be polishing the scratches out or if this was meant to fill them?
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:59 am
It's strange stuff. The initial hits with it is indeed cutting the surface back but the final hits with it are filling in somewhat. I had to work out a really messed up Japanese historically significant (yes, that's a thing nowadays) sewing chest that was finished in some kind of home/craft made original high build shellac coating. It was art scenes buried under this coating with micro scratches, blushing, etc.....hell, you could barely see that there was art work in areas. I did a combination of chemical blush removal and carefully worked with Novus on wilized frenching cloths for a day or so. When I took it back to the lady she burst into tears, gave me a hug, and even a tip......

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:29 am
I was working on a friend's Harley yesterday and trying to clean up the windshield. Went into my bike's saddlebag to get the windshield cleaner I bought at a Harley dealer and surprise, surprise it was Novus #1.
1968 Coronet R/T

PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects