1949 Ford F-1 Pickup

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 pm
I'm finally caught up on other people's cars so I get to work on my own project for now. I have a ton of work to do on this. I'm not sure if I'll just fix enough of it to drive for a while or if I'll start the complete build now.

Here's the way I got it.

The doghouse was in pretty bad shape. I chose to sell it and use a fiberglass front end that came with the truck.

The truck came with a 390.

This engine replaced it. 4.6 DOHC from '94 Mark VIII.

The mule that pulled the motor and front clip. :happy:

Motor mounts welded.

I'm mating the brake assembly from the Mark VIII with a '89 Mustang booster/master cylinder.

Exhaust manifold's from an '03 Cobra.

Here was the first time hearing it run a few months ago.

I had so many holes to fill, I just decided to replace the firewall. I wanted a smooth one anyway.

I've decided to start sanding the cab down to see how bad the metal is underneath.

No attempts were made to pull any dents out. The previous guy just filled with filler.

Here are the ribs on the back of the cab. They were just filled with mud. The center section is pretty bad, I'm going to cut it out and replace.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:39 am
I LOVE these old trucks. I would rather have a decent late 40's to early 50's truck than a brand new one. Any thoughts on the color? I have seen these done in a two tone that really looks classy with the original moon hub caps and wide white wall tires. :)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 am
You're probably not going to like the route I plan on going with this. I'm not very much on keeping things original. I'm hoping on Candy Apple Red for the paint, if I am able. I'm going to try some test pieces first and see how it goes. As far as the wheels, I'm still not sure but I plan on going with some type of aftermarket wheel.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:20 pm
Got some more of the paint stripped. Since I'm planning on having A/C I welded the fresh air vent closed.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:56 pm
Gonna be one nice ride when you're done with it I'm sure. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:14 pm
I hope I'm able to get it finished. It has sooo much work to be done.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:10 am
I love these trucks. I really love to see them slammed on the floor!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Just started tinkering with the truck again today, I've been a little under the weather this week. There is some metal in the floor that needs to be replaced, windshield channel, bottom of both doors and both cab corners. Decided to start on one of the corners.

This thing just had tons of kitty hair forced into the rust holes. I'm no pro by any means but I think my repair will beat this. :happy:

I'll hopefully trim the flange piece and finish the corner tomorrow.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:34 pm
Are you keeping track of your time? It would be interesting to note just how long it takes to cut out, fabricate and install one corner like that.
I know that I always get way into a repair before I start thinking about how much time it actually takes.
Newbies should pay attention to how a couple of rust holes on the outside are indicators that real advanced rust usually lies beneath.
When car owners come to you with the old "just a couple of minor rust spots to fix" line always remember pictures like these. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 pm
No, I've tried to keep records on different projects I've done but I hop around from one thing to the next so often I quit trying to keep up. I messed with the outer sheetmetal on this some tonight and it didn't go too well. The corner curves both ways. I don't have sheetmetal forming skills or tools at this point so I might have to buy the corner. I'll give it another try Monday before I order one though.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects