67 Mustang mod/restore ongoing...

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 pm
The plan for the week and coming weekend is to get the rear valance stripped ,filled and sanded. Glue and sand the end caps and side scoop, finish off left side body filling. I want to get some epoxy on the rear by this week end, I will keep you all up to date...cheers

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:58 pm
A little update, did not get anything done yet this week end, we have had some bad storms and temp has been down. But am getting set for gluing the end caps on and a while ago I purchased some Norton Speed Grip structural adhesive. They wanted a out rages price for their application gun so I thought I would modify my brake caliper spreader tool from snap on. I am pretty pleased with the out come......what do you think?

glue gun 001.JPG

glue gun 002.JPG

glue gun 004.JPG

glue gun 006.JPG

glue gun 005.JPG

I do not have the mixing nozzle attached yet since I do not want to break off the glue cap until actual use. I have never used this stuff and not sure if I have enough to cover the 2 end caps and 2 side scoops. I will get a couple of pics of the process when I do it. This stuff is sand-able and suppose to help prevent cracking between fiber glass and metal. They all will be also bolted and screwed as extra assurance.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:19 pm
Hi all it has been a while and I thought I would do a update.

I got the end caps glued on and side scoops.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

After waiting 24 hours or more I tried sanding but found that tricky, in the end I used a rotary tool with little sanding drums to get the glue down. Then I had to epoxy because it says you can not put filler straight over the glue.

005.JPG

006.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:35 pm
It has been a while since posting and I forgot you can only post 5 pics at a time oh well.

There is a slight ridge where cap meets quarter but there is no filler at this stage so it is pretty good I think.

007.JPG

Starting to do some filling.

016.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

And a mock up with the rear end to make sure everything fits ok

023.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 pm
One of the side scoop

009.JPG

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 am
It's really coming along nice. Is that a Branda fiberglass hood? How was the fit out of the box?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:46 pm
No all the fiber glass was from Stangaholic and they all fitted pretty good. Only problem I had was the side to side position on the deck lid and hood was out by 1/2 an inch, I had to slot the holes in the hinges to get them over to align center. So far I have not had to add any material to the edges of the hood at all but I will need to do some filling for high's and low's on the hood which is to be expected. I originally wanted a steel backed hood but at the time they never had any, I will be reinforcing the latch area to prevent cracking if I choose to go with latch as well as hood pins.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:28 pm
I've been looking at that hood for my '68. The Stangaholic hood with the metal backing looks perfect - thanks for the info!

I just painted my engine bay with ********** 2K epoxy primer and ********** clear. I really liked how easy the ********** products were to use for a beginner. How do you like the eastwood products? Have you tried any other brands that you can compare against?

Keep up the good work, it is very motivating to watch your progress

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:11 pm
Thanks for the kind remarks, it is those that keep me motivated lol. I should use SP1 because from what I hear it is good primer and clear. I am going with Dupont for the base and clear. Eastwood primer is fine, have had no problems, only reason I got it was because I got a complete body kit from them and it was included with all the sanding blocks and paper. It was only 1/2 a gallon of Epoxy and 1 gallon of 2k high build. I ran out of the epoxy and got some Omni mp170 from dupont.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:33 pm
Well I worked on the stang for most of the week end , did not get much done physically but mentally I did. I finally got the hood aligned and then tried sorting out the fenders. The repop fenders were close but I just could not correct a couple of places no matter how hard I tried. After struggling with the right fender I decided to throw the original one back on and straight away I could see the better fit. So I am going with the originals, they do have some rust issues so they will need some work.

The rust

027.JPG

And a cease by the spot welds, not sure how I will tackle that yet, the badge holes I am going to weld up.

028.JPG

Finally started her up since last summer and moved it outside for a better look in daylight.

002.JPG

Rear is looking pretty good

007.JPG

And the front mocked up with one repo and one original fender

001.JPG
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects