67 Mustang mod/restore ongoing...

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 pm
kiwimustang67 wrote:
002.JPG

Rear is looking pretty good

007.JPG

And the front mocked up with one repo and one original fender

001.JPG

Those pictures should be enough to get your motor running! I really like the seamless joint between the extensions and the quarters. I wish I would have done that. It's really looking great, you sure have come along way. In the homestretch soon

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:03 am
Started to clean up back side of the right front fender.

001.JPG

Had some more rust issues in the lower corner and back of the headlight bucket splash shield.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Rust all cut out and waiting for patches.

005.JPG

007.JPG
Last edited by kiwimustang67 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:10 am
006.JPG

008.JPG

Spot welded in the first patch

009.JPG

010.JPG

Next is to do a quick trial fit on car and do the inner patch and another quick trial fit, fully weld both and grind welds.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm
Kiwi
The oem fender will be a better finish product. Your car is coming along nice. Are you going to be driving it this summer. Im having a hard time keeping with my momentum on mine.I had a rough time with my fiberglass trunk.

I have a similar project with a 68. I went a step farther with a fiberglass true fit fiberglass bumper from Maier Racing. I welded the rear splash pan and bonded the bumper also.
I am a Mustang fan but the rear bumpers fit lousy.I guess a guy could weld on pieces and have it re-cromed. Page 3 in library.
http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Mike_ ... 9242912116

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 pm
Musdang22

Really nice job, way better then my amateur efforts, that rear has a nice clean and sleek look to it. I have to admit for a first timer the rear fiber glass was a daunting job when things got rough for me I moved onto something else on the car for a change and when I got real lazy and was coming up with excuses not to work on it I looked at other peoples projects to get me going again. I am really trying to have it done some time this Summer, it has been too long since I have driven it and it is driving me nuts.

Got some more work done on the fender today. Inner patch on.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

All ground up, did not get too crazy with the grinding as it will never be seen.

004.JPG

005.JPG
Last edited by kiwimustang67 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm
Now for the outer patch to be welded

006.JPG

All ground up, might need a couple of spot welds yet.

007.JPG

008.JPG

Need to trim the lip of the fender but for now I moved on to the rust hole in the head light shield, got it all cleaned up and cut for patch.

009.JPG

010.JPG

I was wanting to have this done by the end of the week end but it got late and I ran out of poop lol but the patch is all marked up ready to be cut out and trimmed to fit. Hopefully will get to it during the week but definitely next week end.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm
You are making great progress, keep it up :clap:

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 pm
Kiwi
You have came a long way from where you started. My car had a pretty good skin but the whole botttom was gone.
I know what you are talking about when the frustration level getting high and switching to something else for a change.. I need to stop obsessing about some of the things that will be covered and get it done. I want it right but it is to drive.
Your doing quality work that will pay off in the end. I read thru your post a couple of times in searches ive done. I have a good idea what you got into with that aftermarket fender. Using it for patch material is more than likley the best thing.
Fiberglass is one of my least favorite materials to work with. It is one material that allows you to do it the way you think they should have. The more I looked at the rear of a Mustang they had great lines. Ford just chopped the car up with a lot of little misaligned, huge gapped parts.
I ordered two chrome bumpers and sent both back. Junk! If your oem bumper can be recromed you might be better off.

One thing you can do without too much work is even the gap between the quarter pannel extension and the bumper ends since you are already doing some fiberglass. close the gap from 3/4 to 1/4. I have seen guys do that and it makes a huge difference. Just a thought. Unless your wanting it original.
Mike

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 am
Thanks guys it means a lot, I too have got new bumpers. I have tried the rear in mock up and it is no diff to my original and with the pop open fuel cap it leaves a bigger gap then I would like on the end caps, so I might take up your suggesting and revisit the gap and see what I can do. I have some short strand fiber glass resin and will try something. I have not tried the front one yet, not until I have a better mock up with the fenders more fully finished and in end game postion.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm
I got the patch cut up and tacked in, I will weld and grind tomorrow night maybe weather permitting as we are suppose to get some rain and snow mix. If not then , for sure in week end, mean time got some more pics when I had out of the garage last week end.

This one really shows the difference between the rear fender flare and the front .........hate?....like?

003.JPG

Side shot

004.JPG

Scoop

006.JPG

Messy engine bay

005.JPG

I am thinking of eliminating the heater vents for a smoother look and no leak hassle free like Rusty did on his 68.....opinions?
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects