Some work from Aussie

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:34 am
Before I got rid of my SS for a Focus ST I scratched one of the rims. They are Holden Special Vehicles rims that came off the HSV GTS E series 1.

Pic of the car and the rims. It is a holden but in my opinion the size of the holden badges they put on these cars makes it look like a dinner plate so I rebadged it with the export Chevrolet badges as GM sold this car as a SS lumina in the Middle East and South Africa.

The scratch and gouge

The colour of these wheels is called shadow chrome. For some reason people here in Australia are paranoid about damaging these rims as there is a rumor that they are impossible to match. It is simply a black ground coat with a very translucent dark metallic shimmery grey dusted over it followed by some clear coat. I simply blended the colour on this wheel repair and it came out fine. I think it is a case of wheel repairers trying to scare people and justify exorbitant costs to repair these shadow chrome wheels.

The wheel hi fill primed after sanding and filler

The black ground coat layed down

Wheel finished, cleared and blended. Pic taken inside the shop. It looks like there is a colour difference. It is actually the light reflecting the metallic grey coat.

Some pics outside in the late afternoon sun. Again there looks like a colour difference but please note that this colour change is evident on two of the spokes of the wheel and I only blended paint on one spoke.

Scott

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 am
Nice work there 67SS.

It was like a walk down memory lane to see newspaper still being used. These days I use the recycled brown craft paper. At just over $20 for a 450mm wide roll, 400m long I find it much faster and more economical for tape usage as well. I agree, though, no problems with either as far as producing fibres that get into the paint. Possibly newspaper is a little better at resisting soaking through with clear, but not much in it.

That new booth looks huge. Must be a joy to work in.

PS. Shhhh, don't tell them how easy shadow chrome is. :goodjob:
Chris

Settled In
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 am
NFT5 wrote:Nice work there 67SS.

It was like a walk down memory lane to see newspaper still being used. These days I use the recycled brown craft paper. At just over $20 for a 450mm wide roll, 400m long I find it much faster and more economical for tape usage as well. I agree, though, no problems with either as far as producing fibres that get into the paint. Possibly newspaper is a little better at resisting soaking through with clear, but not much in it.

That new booth looks huge. Must be a joy to work in.

PS. Shhhh, don't tell them how easy shadow chrome is. :goodjob:

LOL. Mate, I love the new booth. I have not looked at that recycled paper for years but for that price I will definately be looking into it now. Would certainly cut down on the tape usage. Cheers man.

Coming into Autumn she will start to cool down there in Canberra eh? Lots of fast hardener, lol
Scott

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 am
Nice work mate! Looks like fun.
I am very interested in the wheel details. Its true, no info on painting wheels like this, these new hyper metallic style wheels have no paint codes because of special stage processes or trade secret.
I am looking to paint my silver tundra wheels the same.
What color of silver did you spray on? Fine metallic flakes or?
Can you describe the process and coats to cover the black?

Thank you!

Settled In
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:49 am
Tyler_durden wrote:Nice work mate! Looks like fun.
I am very interested in the wheel details. Its true, no info on painting wheels like this, these new hyper metallic style wheels have no paint codes because of special stage processes or trade secret.
I am looking to paint my silver tundra wheels the same.
What color of silver did you spray on? Fine metallic flakes or?
Can you describe the process and coats to cover the black?

Thank you!

Cheers mate, the shadow chrome wheels are just a black groundcoat and then a really weak metallic grey dusted over. From memory I put three coats of the grey over the black followed by a dryish few coats of clear and it will give you the look as in the pics of the wheels. I would think you could put any grey silver etc over the black to get the same look. If you can find a paint shop that has access to Oceanic area paint codes or Australian paint codes the code for the colour is as follows

Make: Holden Special Vehicles (HSV)
Name: Chrome Shadow
Paint code: 1EJNB

The brand of paint that I use is Dupont/Axalta if that helps any.

This is the grey. I snapped a pic of it today for you

Let me know how you get on with it. Would love to see how it turns out.

P.S very jealous of you American blokes. Our pickups here are crap compared to what you guys can get. Ours are so lame I am looking into importing and converting to Right Hand Drive a 2014 Silverado which will basically double the price of what you guys pay for them over there.
Scott

Settled In
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 am
Work has begun on the 67 Camaro,

Settled on a colour. Dodge used it in 2012 and called it Header Orange and Jeep also used it and called it Crush. I wanted an orange that did not throw any red at all, just orange

The car was in pretty good shape. Just a few dents here and there. It did not come from the factory with a radio so I decided to fill the aerial hole for something a bit different

The other thing that I also did was fill the factory holes for the licence plate rubbers and move them further up as our licence plates here are shorter and longer than American ones so the rubbers are visible with our licence plates on.

This is where they are from the factory

Now I have moved them further up and also smoothed the raised area around the factory holes.

Scott

Settled In
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:24 am
The body all stripped out, front and rear windows removed and masked up and primed in 2K hi fill primer

All the panels are primed up as well. Very happy with all the body lines. Nice and straight.

The car came with a standard bonnet but as I am doing a SS replica I bought a brand new SS bonnet

Scott

Settled In
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 am
I was not going to do the engine bay but I thought as I had gone so far I might as well do it as well so I welded up a small tear in the radiator support panel and also decided to paint the fan shroud and a few other pieces that were chrome in matt black. I am not a fan of chrome everywhere. Just the valve covers and the air cleaner in chrome will do me.

The repair on the support panel

All finished in black

The fan cover and other bits in black now as well. The inner gaurds have also been refitted in these pics

I also bought a nice shiney new air cleaner for it and will put the factory 350 sticker on it

Scott
Previous

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects