W.I.P. Repainting 2000 Tundra

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:35 pm
Here's what the hood looked like a couple of years ago before rust spots started to peek through.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:40 pm
I took the old paint down to metal on the front third of the hood.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:43 pm
What's not shown is the repair to the dent on the top passenger side of the hood near the grill. I used my stud welder to pull that dent out. You can see the dent in the first picture. I used polyester glazing compound to fill the dings.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Here's the hood after several coats of epoxy primer. I'm having to do this work in stages as free time permits, so I'll be driving around in the rain some before it'a all said and done.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:48 pm
Another view of the hood.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:57 pm
The next area I had to tackle ASAP was the roof. It was starting to get some rust spots, too. I sanded off the deteriorated clear coat, made a couple of minor repairs with glazing compound, then sprayed several coats of epoxy primer.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:04 pm
Next up is this ugly dent on the driver's side rear door. It was there when I bought the truck. I outlined the extent of the damage with a marker.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 pm
Here's one of my new toys.

I ground back the paint beyond the repair area and used a precision straight edge to mark the lows and to give me layout lines for the studs. The more lines, the lower the metal. I'm a complete novice, to I proceed with my own techniques that may not be the way pros do it.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:20 pm
I pulled on the lows and pecked down the highs. In hindsight, I should have determined whether or not I could access the dent from inside the door. It would have saved me all those stud welds at the top. Oh well, it's a learning process too.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:31 am
After grinding off the studs and tapping down their resulting high spots, I applied the body filler and block sanded it. It took several re-applications of glazing compound to get it acceptable. Each blocking revealed a new high spot that I had to tap down. I think after surfacer and more blocking, it will look pretty good.

Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects