Prep Project 2001 Mustang - advice and help appreciated

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:30 pm
Are you still using rattle can primer?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:44 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Are you still using rattle can primer?

No

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:14 am
The reason I asked is the primer depth looks a bit thin.
If using a polyester primer like G2 or Slicksand you can get away with 2 coats for the initial block sanding but other 2k build primers I find 3 coats minimum for filling and leveling.
Might take two rounds of block sanding, the first to get things straight, then respray the 2k primer and using guide coat block sand with 220 just to remove the guide coat. From there you can reapply the guide coat and wet sand with 400 until the guide coat is gone.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 pm
Primed and blocked the hood once more, and tonight shot 2k sealer. Big mistake.... the bugs flew into my little portable spray booth , attracted by the light and kamikazied into the fresh new coat of sealer..... I panicked, tried to get some of them out with my finger, smudged, sprayed over to try and cover it up, got runs..... and then more bugs flew into it lol. Going to wait until morning to see what it looks like..... there's also a wrinkly spot, which apparently happens if the coats aren't given enough flash time and are too wet.... was getting late, and I wanted to get the hood sealed.... impatience got me :(

I think I sprayed on WAY too much of the stuff too..... have a feeling I will be sanding tomorrow to remove mummified moths and mosquitos

On a positive note, the rear bumper is off and the trunk and deck lid are ready to be primed

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:27 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:The reason I asked is the primer depth looks a bit thin.
If using a polyester primer like G2 or Slicksand you can get away with 2 coats for the initial block sanding but other 2k build primers I find 3 coats minimum for filling and leveling.
Might take two rounds of block sanding, the first to get things straight, then respray the 2k primer and using guide coat block sand with 220 just to remove the guide coat. From there you can reapply the guide coat and wet sand with 400 until the guide coat is gone.

Thanks, yes have graduated from the rattle can stuff. I posted earlier here about the primer I'm using, Nason Selectprime

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:53 pm
Good times with the sealer

Sprayed it too thick, didnt let it dry between coats, panicked when the bugs flew in it, tried to smudge them out and pile more sealer on..... this is what happened .... probably gonna have to strip the whole hood back and start again.

On a positive note, the deck lid and the trunk has the first coat of primer

Big thunderstorm coming tonight, hopefully my temporary garage mahal holds up

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 pm
Looking to fix a quarter panel dent - it's on the corner where the bumper is supposed to line up, but looks like it's been pushed in... I've taken the bumper off and here's a photo of both sides, the left side is dented and the right side is how it should be.... looks like the right side has been welded? It's pretty easy to get inside the panel with the bumper off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:42 pm
Massive thunderstorm last night , trees down in the neighborhood , hail , flash floods..., Miraculously my spray booth is still standing.

Deck lid and spoiler are primed , just need a final block and they'll be ready for sealer. Will apply the stuff properly this time .

Have decided to strip the hood and start again .... the sealer looks ok for most of it but the peeling parts have me worried that the solvents are trapped and going to give way in time and crack the surface ..... for peace of mind will strip it , start again .

Anybody have any ideas on how to strip 2k urethane sealer ? It's serious stuff ..... attack it with 80 grit ? This is a fiberglass hood so don't want to dig in to the gel coat too much

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:21 pm
Trunk, decklid and spoiler are primed and sealed....filled in hail damage dips in roof, have blocked, primed, guide coated, blocked and now primed again with another guide coat and will block once more hopefully the low spots are gone.

The drips and runs in the sealer aren't showing so obviously in these pics, but they've wetsanded out since.

Have decided to let the hood sit in the sun and leave it until last.... and will see if I can patch in the peeling areas or just strip it and start over

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 pm
Mkbrower wrote:I also would not skip on using flex additive when painting the bumpers.

Is flex additive for the clear only? Or for every stage when painting the bumpers?
PreviousNext

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects