Toyota Cressida Build.

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:05 am
I figured I should start a Build thread for the Cressida since I've jumped into hacking up the body. :happy:

I have a '90 Toyota Cressida that's had some previous body work done. Its been through several builds in its life, from a track car with a weld in cage then converted back to a street car with several different engine setups. Here are a few shots of how it was this summer while I was driving the car.
Cressida by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

It was a well built car mechanically, but the body left a lot to be desired. A good looking car makes you smile.

First up, the rear fender flares really limited wheel travel and as such, how much you can lower the end down. They looked good, but they were between 1/4 and 1/2" thick flares and the inner fender wasn't modified to allow additional clearance.

I did a rough cut to get the bondo and old metal out of there.
Step 1of 800. Getting rid of tire rub by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

With the rear shock out of place, I was able to jack the suspension up and check clearance to cut out only whats needed.
Trimmed by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr
Trimmed by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

The inner fender work and flare removal allows me an additional 4.5-5" suspension compression from where I was this year. Much better for a lower ride height and to keep my tires from rubbing.
The tire now is ~1.5" into the rear door at full bump, so the door will require modification too.

From here, Im going to complete the inner fender work, seal and coat the new inner on both sides in hopes that I will find a set of wheels to build my flares around.

My intention is to build some flares similar to this:
Flares by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

However, I like to corner so I will be making sure that I maintain full travel with my flares.

Matt
HellaFab.ca

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:50 am
Cressida fender work by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

Cressida fender work by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

taken forever to do with family priorities and doing some other projects.

You can see how much bump clearance there is from the height the suspension was set at this summer. Currently waiting on a pair of wheel spacers to build fenders off the current wheels, with intentions of fitting 18x11et15 enkei rs05rr wheels with 285/30 sized tires (front wheels will also get fit for a square wheel setup with full bump clearancing once the rear is done)

Debating if i want to build them in fiberglass for a more complex shape or take extra time to do metal.
HellaFab.ca

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:24 am
Do you have metal working tools like a brake and an English Wheel for forming the flares?

Yes these projects always take way longer when being done on the side.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:21 pm
I don't have an English wheel... no.
nor a stretcher... which would also be really handy...
HellaFab.ca

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:55 am
mate, if you have very little experience and tools for metal, use fibreglass, otherwise you will just end up with a mess and have wasted alot of time (sorry to put a damper on it for you)'
to save me writing a massive post on what i would do (i used to make alot of custom car audio panels), look up some car audio forums and browse thru how they build there door pods and sub enclosures, then utilize their procedures to make your flares, it will save you alot of headaches and time!!
krem

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects