Qtr Panel - No load on suspension... no load possible. Yet.

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 am
I've been slowly putting a 1999 Buick Century back together. I've struggled a bit thanks to being new to auto body-- but I wanted to learn. I'm just getting a little more than I bargained for. Anyway-- early into the project I consulted with a guy who had 20+ years of experience in auto body. When he saw the damage to the car, he suggested the best way to tackle the problem was to "cheat". (His actual word for the strategy.) The damage is on the rear passenger side and extends from the center pillar rearwards. My "consultant" said the best way for me to handle the job in my garage without the ability to straighten anything first was to replace the entire quarter panel and the inner and outer wheel housing as one piece. I took his advice and chopped up the car accordingly. But now... when I review information on quarter panel replacement, the common piece of advice given is to ensure the suspension is loaded before anything is welded in place. However... without the wheel housing, this isn't possible. So I'm stalled out. I'm questioning the recommended process now and wondering if I should remove the inner/outer wheel housing from the salvaged part, weld it in place, "load" the suspension, then attack the quarter panel. I'm dying to get this done before the end of July but obviously anxious about making a major mistake that will be difficult to undo. As always... advice is appreciated...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 am
Pictures would be a great help here.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects