Weekend rookie hack's 2nd bike tank

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:38 pm
This is my second attempt at painting a motorcycle tank. My first attempt came out pretty well but I did not like the way my number “8” came out and it turns out the inside of the tank had rust and a failing tank liner that I somehow overlooked!!

Oh well, I had wanted to chop down a tank for a while anyway and since I have just started as a weekend hack at painting, I definitely need the practice.

I figured that I had nothing to lose buy my time and some materials.

I found a used tank in a local cycle salvage (we used to call them junkyards), set it on the bike and taped off what I thought I could get away with. I also had a friend do a quick photo chop to see what it would look like.

00 Chop.jpg
Attachments
00 Tank Chop.jpg
Last edited by OldFatBald on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 pm
So a few minutes with a cut off wheel, took a pie slice out and of course this tank had a bunch of interior rust and failing factory POS tank liner.

Gave it a nice bath in some "Evapo-Rust" rust removal liquid – silly name, great product.

My buddy put it back together again as I am a hack welder and this needed to be done correctly.
02 Tank Chop.jpg

03 Tank Chop.jpg

04 Tank Chop.jpeg

05 Tank Chop.jpeg
Last edited by OldFatBald on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Some 60 grit on the DA made me realize that I needed some 36 grit, anyway I got it stripped.

I used KDA-3000 DTS as a high build, blocked it out, shot some more and blocked it out again until I was satisfied with it.

06 Stripped (1).jpg

06 Stripped (2).jpg

06 Tank Chop.jpg

07 Tank.jpg

08 sealer (1).jpg
Last edited by OldFatBald on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 pm
Then shot some more KDA-3000 reduced down as a sealer.

As I am a weekend hack spraying in my “Pig Barn” I need to time my painting around my weekend time. So I sprayed a coat of red Single Stage as a base for my graphics.

When I sanded my SS, I ended up sanding through to the black sealer underneath (something I seem to do a lot!), so I shot some of the same color BC/CC.

08 sealer (2).jpg

09 SS.jpg

09 Tank.jpg

10 Tank.jpg

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:52 pm
The nest weekend I laid out my graphics, shot the white. It was in the mid to high 60s now and I think that I over reduced and sprayed too thick a coat my white BC.

Then I got some wrinkles in the paint. At this point I was tired and pissed, almost gave up.

Luckily it was in the area that would be covered in metallic silver, so I wiped as much as I could off, let it dry a good amount, then hit it with a scuff pad. I figured that I could always sand it all off and start over.

11 Tank.jpg

12 Tank Chop.jpg

13 Wrinkle.jpg

14 Wrinkle.jpg

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 pm
Then I taped off the white, shot the metallic silver BC/CC and this is where it is at now.

As the temps have dropped, I now have to wait until spring to sand it down with 800 one more time and flow coat it prior to buffing.

Though I can’t come close to what some of the folks on the forums are capable of, I am happy with the way it has come out so far.

Of course I would like to get to the point that I don’t sand off wayyyyyy more than I put on!!!

15 Tank .jpg

16 Tank.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 am
Looks good from here. Nice job

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 am
Looks good man. Learn as you go.

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects